Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-12-2003 , 03:57 AM

uv maping a hand

I hope this isnt a too broad of a question, but im trying to uv map a hand i have made for my newest chracter. Is there any set way to planar map the hand? when I try ti planar map from the top view after selecting all of the top faces my UV's are in a horrible tangle that would take a life time to put back into the right order. Does anyone have any tricks they could tell me about or just a general work flow that could help me?

# 2 12-12-2003 , 04:00 AM
The Maya Mountain
You need to select only the top layer of faces before you planar map. You would planar map the top of the hand from the top, and the bottom of the hand from the bottom.

# 3 12-12-2003 , 04:14 AM
thats what i was attempting, do most hand models have the seams on the sides of the fingers?

# 4 12-12-2003 , 04:51 AM
The Maya Mountain
You'll always need to do some UV tweaking.

There will always be seams, but it's up to your texture to try to blend them to make them unnoticable.