Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 16-03-2007 , 12:29 AM
I agree; it is a little too "fast." If this is a tough, wear-and-tear point in this guy's life, he might be taking things slowly, uncertainly, and somewhat devoid of life. He does glance around rather quickly, almost dartingly.

But that's just my opinion; I don't know how you are envisioning the piece/situation.

# 47 21-03-2007 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
Well matey, not much critique i'm afraid!
Rooms looks great, as mentioned above love the mattress, and the art deco fireplace...
The texturing on the floorbaords is very nice, only they look a little flat in that last render.
All in all bloody nice work.

# 48 21-03-2007 , 12:45 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for your thoughts,

arran,

THIS is in honour of your avater, probably one of the finest pieces of TV ever made, genius!

Regarding the playblast, I can only agree that the movement was too fast, almost bird like. I've spent a bit of time on it and I'm pretty happy with the result. I've stitched in the second camera shot too, you'll notice that the zoom looks jerky without sound but it should be fine once I have the heart beat in place.

The attached image is a render of a frame frmo the second camera angle.

CLICK THIS to see the new playblast (2.14Meg WMV).

As usual your thoughts are appreciated.

Take it easy,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by happymat27; 21-03-2007 at 12:54 PM.
# 49 10-04-2007 , 08:44 AM
It's much better now that he's actually in it (and clothed!!! lol!!)... Hey, keep up the fabulous work!

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 50 12-04-2007 , 01:36 AM
ha ha ha - that was excellent! user added image kids eating food on a rollercoaster - always good for a laugh!

yep the new the playblast is looking very good - really like the new camera movement, especially how it zooms in on him and then his face.

I see you posted this ages ago. sorry for the late reply, but mate - along with your excellent UFO short, you are really getting the animating down - good job mat!

# 51 12-04-2007 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
Cheers guys,

it has been a while since I posted to this thread hasn't it. Because I've been up to my eyes in learning After Effects I've not touched this for about 3 weeks but I've got less than 2 weeks to complete it now so I'll definately have some updates in the next couple of days.

Glad you liked the clip arran, like I said, pure genius!

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 52 25-04-2007 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber
Well here we go then,

I think this is as finished as I'm going to be able to get it before it needs to be submitted on Friday, I still need to finish the report too!!

RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE this link to see the animation.

Let me know what you think, any thughts good or bad are always welcome.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 53 25-04-2007 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
wow that came out really good, I've enjoyed this from the beginning.

My crits:
The opening credits go by almost too fast I can't read everything that fast.
other than that it was really good, wish it was slightly longer.

keep up the good work!

# 54 25-04-2007 , 03:26 PM
great work Mat

Only thing I could say was that i didnt have enought time to read the quote at the start.

Other than that it looks great. Nice one!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 55 25-04-2007 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Fellas,

I think that I can sort out the titles withut too much bother and then it's down to some seroius report writing!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 56 26-04-2007 , 08:00 AM
Hey Mat,

I too would like to see this clip a little longer. Also it would be great to see this as a nice, high quality .tga render (that sure would up the render times!!). Although the preview quality jpg's look fine, they certainly don't bring out all effort you went to with texturing and lighting. Apart from that, the modeling and animation are all top notch (I love the bit where he jumps back onto the bed).

Another top job m8! user added image

PS: I now have loads of lighting/environment questions so I'll be in touch real soon...

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 57 26-04-2007 , 10:19 AM
yeah - good job mat - definitely agree with gster about the quote at the start - aside from that, everything else looked fine - nice use of music and the camera.

well done mate - i think it's time to celebrate! user added image

# 58 27-04-2007 , 06:19 AM
Subscriber
Thes's it then,

all handed in. I fixed the quote at the start to stay on screen for a second longer which was enough time to read it, all I can do now is wait for it to be marked.

From the animators point of view I'm quite glad that it's only as long as it is but I know what you mean, it would have been nice to show a bit more of the characters decline. As far as rendering it out in better quality, maybe one day I'll get round to it, 15 minutes per frame is a long time to wait though when there are 600 frames to render!!

Cheers for all of your thoughts and crit while I was making this one, see you all on the next one.

Mat :attn: