Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-04-2007 , 07:55 PM

Polygon to Subdi converting- Problem.

Hey, im doing the "Basic Human form" now, to get a good basics foundation. And ive now com to the part where i need to convert my model from Polygons and into Subdivisions. The problem is - When I try to do so, I get an error message saying:

" Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted into a subidivion Surface " Now as I don't speak the language of English, and also I have just started using maya - I can't figure out what this means.

Id really appriciate some advice on basically what it means, and how to solve it.

Thanks in advance.

Delerious

The wiseman asks himself for the reason of his mistakes, the fool asks others.
# 2 05-04-2007 , 11:40 PM
non manifold geometry (i dont know what it really mean either) means that some of th faces on your model have their normals reversed or there is a a face with only one edge. go to mesh>cleanup and check select geometry and scroll down to non manifold geometry and hit apply. it will show you where those erors are.

# 3 06-04-2007 , 05:32 AM
Thanks a lot man, I got it fixed, and just when I had converted; my Maya crashed and I had to go waaay back cause I had forgotten to save the scene before converting into Subdivs.

Anyways now im back to the same spot and ive now run into a new problem - It says I cant convert because "one or more duplicated edges were present" - And I cant figure out how to solve this issue either, as this is my first time using Maya.

Any help again would be very much appriciated.

Thanks!

# 4 06-04-2007 , 05:54 AM
Lifetime Member
What this means is you have a polygon on top of a polygon, this happens when you select the extrude tool and do not extrude but insted deselect it.
If you right click on your object and select face you should be able to see duplicate faces because there will be a face center dot located on the edges around the problem polygon/polygons.
Obviously you need to delete one of the faces and there is no automatic way to this so i'm afraid you will have to go in manually.

# 5 06-04-2007 , 05:57 AM
Allright man, thanks a lot. And also thanks for the quick reply, ive set off my entire day for this and was just sitting around waiting for an answer.

Thanks again.

# 6 06-04-2007 , 06:15 AM
Hmmm... Ive gone in manually and tried searched every face, edge and vertex thourougly, but I I have not been able to find the duplicated edge.. Ive tried moving a lot of them around to see if theres a face or vertex hidden under another etc, but without luck.

Any other ways of finding this/these edge(s) ?

This is a part of the message I get -

"Repair the duplicate edges by selecting the polygon
// and issuing the following command, then try again:
select .e[1423] .e[1422] .e[1421] .e[1420] .e[1419] .e[1418] .e[1417] .e[1416] .e[1415] .e[1414] ;string $v[] = `polyListComponentConversion -fe -tv`;select $v;polySplitVertex;polyMergeVertex -d 0.0

Those numbers - are they some form of codes I can use to find the duplicated edges?

Last edited by Deleriouz; 06-04-2007 at 06:17 AM.
# 7 06-04-2007 , 06:18 AM
Lifetime Member
if this error persists open up the script editor and it should give you a script to copy into the command line which should fix the problem.

# 8 06-04-2007 , 06:19 AM
Lifetime Member
copy this into the command line and hit enter then try again.

select .e[1423] .e[1422] .e[1421] .e[1420] .e[1419] .e[1418] .e[1417] .e[1416] .e[1415] .e[1414] ;string $v[] = `polyListComponentConversion -fe -tv`;select $v;polySplitVertex;polyMergeVertex -d 0.0

# 9 06-04-2007 , 06:22 AM
Still getting the same error message over and over.
=/

# 10 06-04-2007 , 06:25 AM
Lifetime Member
you could try selecting all the verts on your model and reseting the merge verts tool to it's lowest level and merging,that will merge any vertices that are directly on top of each other.

# 11 06-04-2007 , 06:28 AM
There we go, I fixed it now, thanks a lot mate. Appriciate your help!

# 12 06-04-2007 , 06:29 AM
Lifetime Member
if this doesn't work attach the file so we can d/l it and have a play

# 13 06-04-2007 , 06:30 AM
Lifetime Member
glad you got it fixed, I know when you are starting out in Maya it can be really frustrating at times but you will learn by your mistakes and eleimate them quite quickly.