Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 22-05-2007 , 01:43 PM
Nice padding! Man, you make me want to take a nap on it...

# 17 22-05-2007 , 08:02 PM
Thanks sandman300 and severinianthony,
I'm setting aside 2 hours to work it some more tonight. Man, I can't wait till I can afford PhotoShop. The free applications just don't seem to be able to do much. I'd like to make it look worn and used but I don't think that's going to be possible (with my lack of skills) until I can afford an advanced photo editor like PS.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 18 22-05-2007 , 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Perfecto
Thanks sandman300 and severinianthony,
I'm setting aside 2 hours to work it some more tonight. Man, I can't wait till I can afford PhotoShop. The free applications just don't seem to be able to do much. I'd like to make it look worn and used but I don't think that's going to be possible (with my lack of skills) until I can afford an advanced photo editor like PS.

You might give Gimp a try. I don't think it's quite at the level of Photoshop, but it's a very nice package for something that is free.

# 19 23-05-2007 , 11:44 AM
Thanks Dutch,
I posted a thread asking for some cheap generic PhotoShop software and somebody did recommend Gimp. When I checked it out, it seemed like the install was really complicated and was a little uneasy by it. Have you ever installed it before? If so, do you remember what it was like? Thanks

Here's a few more updates. Trying out color schemes and trying to get some ideas.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 20 23-05-2007 , 11:53 AM

How I did my textures

For the green liquid, I made greenish white circles (hollow cylinders) in a green transparent cube. I added some glow and incandescence to get a decent glow look to it. Then when I applied the texture to the model, I added a ramp node to add a small glow to the top and bottom edges (although, it doesn't show in the small gun render above - I'll have to increase settings for small renders). I also made the liquid filled cylinders a little translucent with a point light inside (which also doesn't show up in the small render-hmm).

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 23-05-2007 at 11:56 AM.
# 21 23-05-2007 , 11:56 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looking really good!

# 22 23-05-2007 , 11:59 AM
For the handle texture, I made a poly square and then made the bottom wider. Then I beveled the edges and rotated 45 deg. Then duplicated them on a dark grey poly plane.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 23 23-05-2007 , 12:06 PM
For the symbol, I just used the CV curve tool to create an elipse with my attempt at a anomalie type shape and a planet. I used the loft and planar tools. Again on a dark grey plane. Also for the red digital numbers on the side of the gun, I used the create text tool and added glow on a black background that has just a hint of red in it. I figured that the red glowing numbers should give the background a reddish tint.

mtmckinley: Thanks for the comment as I wasn't really sure if it was looking good or not.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 24 23-05-2007 , 12:32 PM
Kudos for improvising 3D elements to create textures!

Any chance we (I :p ) could get a close-up of that green canister? user added image

# 25 23-05-2007 , 12:42 PM
Sure severinianthony,
I'll post a close up later this evening. Fixing to head out to the park today to celebrate a birthday.

Exceed Expectations!
# 26 23-05-2007 , 01:05 PM
Looking good man, i'm a bit confused, is it geo or textures that you using?

Of are you rendering the geo that you've made and then applying them as texture to the model?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 27 23-05-2007 , 03:24 PM
yeah - i'm a bit confused too!

this is looking really great Perfecto - good job mate! user added image

# 28 23-05-2007 , 04:45 PM
Sorry about the confusion everyone. To make the textures, I've been using geometry to create the look that I want, then I render it out and save it as a jpeg. Then I applied the jpeg files as the textures.

I hope this is okay Mike? If not and you need to disqualify me, no hard feelings, I'll still complete the model. I just don't have a photo editing package that's capable of doing what I want. Don't get me wrong, they're good in other ways, in fact I just used artRage to create a simple design that someone saw and is now using for an album cover for a record they're producing. I'm going to give Gimp serious consideration but of course there's no time for this comp as the month is almost up.

Exceed Expectations!
# 29 23-05-2007 , 04:52 PM
Here's the close up of the green cylinder

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 30 23-05-2007 , 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Perfecto
I hope this is okay...

Meh, I'd be surprised if it wasn't okay; as long as everything ends up a texture, then all is well and good user added image

Remember, I did the same thing with the rings on the saddlecloth for Patches; create a high poly torus, give it a shiny material, and rendered it out in the top view. In the end, it's just a texture on a flat surface, but it sure beats trying to paint it by hand! Who in their right mind is going to try to paint a perfect circle?

Anyway, thanks for the close-up of the bubbley liquid; looks good user added image