Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-06-2003 , 03:40 PM

I can't get this texture right

I'm not good at all with texturing and coloring objects. But I'm trying to create a metal texture and I can't get it right. I've found a shader, but it's not what I wanted. user added image

:EDIT: Sorry, Accidentaly posted in wrong area. Should be in the Texturing area.

How can I go about making this (machined metal) texture:

Attached Thumbnails

- Matt

Last edited by mshoward82; 12-06-2003 at 04:29 PM.
# 2 12-06-2003 , 08:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
I imagine you could get something with a procedural shader... going to take some experimenting, though. The biggest part I think, is the specular highlights (maybe an anisotropic?) and a reflectivity map so that you have a sense of an actual environment being reflected, rather than just a straight color.

Good luck!

# 3 12-06-2003 , 09:46 PM
Yeahhh.... I don't know what you mean by a "Procedural Shader." user added image

I have experimented using the antistropic, but don't know much about texturing.

I'm really looking to be able to apply the striations (the little grooves in the metal from the machine) to the surface and create the color, and reflectivity. I think those are the three basics of it.

Would a bump map help create the striations? If so, how can i make one?

Sorry, I know extremely little about texturing and shaders.

- Matt
# 4 12-06-2003 , 09:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
a procedural shader is using the texture files provided by maya and not files you have created yourself.

# 5 12-06-2003 , 10:14 PM
Ohh, that's about all I know how to use, I haven't learned how to create my own stuff yet.

- Matt
# 6 12-06-2003 , 10:44 PM
Would a bump map with the attached image work pretty well for the striations?

Attached Images

- Matt
# 7 13-06-2003 , 02:25 AM
The Maya Mountain
try it and see. I don't use procedural shaders much. Guess we're opposites. user added image