Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-11-2004 , 09:12 PM

Need some help, animating the eyes!

Hello, I´m new here and i may need some Help for maya 5! as you can see, i tried to model a comic electric toothbrush... so i set a one tall skeleton and smooth skinned it to the hole body even the eyes. i just wanted to rotate the eyeball... but i figured out that it stucked to the body...so i tried to detach the eye from the body but if i do it the eyeball moved out from the eyelid... so i tried to create a locator for the eye... but since i aim it to the eyeball, it moves again out of the eyelid. I just want to move the eyes for few seconds and skin it again to the body!!! Can somone help me???
if someone tells me how do i take a non-rendered picture (My-work picture) from maya to show u exactly where my problem is. i hope u understand, and i hope u help me...
Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-11-2004 , 09:17 PM
here is another pic!
i can close the eyes using the Set Driven Key after setting a Blink Attribute. but to rotate the eyeball after detaching it doesn´t work!

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 14-11-2004 , 09:20 PM
and the last pic!
and i just want to know if u found the model funny or not?
i´m waiting for replies
thank you...

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 15-11-2004 , 07:44 AM
Subscriber
First of all cool idea for a model, the face thing works quite well user added image

As for the eyes, the best way to do it wud be to unbind the skin, then seperate the eyes, possibly the eyelids as well, from the rest of the geometry.

Then rebind ur skin to the skeleton, excluding the eye geometry. This will allow ur guy to bend but he'll leave the eyes behind. So to fix that problem, don't bind the eyes to the skeleton, just parent them to the head joint. Do this by selecting the eyes first, then the head joint, then press p. The eyes will now follow the rotation of the head.

One last problem u mite have is the head deforms away from the eyes. To fix this just make sure that the skin weights for the top of the head, particularly around the eyes, is assigned only to the head joint. (weighting of one). Now the head shud only deform with head joint.

Hope this helps.

And to take a shot of ur work view u need some kind of screen capture software. just do a search in google, theres plenty of free ones.

# 5 15-11-2004 , 06:04 PM
Thank you very much !! i´ll try it, i hope it will work... Thank you again.