Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 91 28-07-2007 , 04:55 AM
Cheers Jay, i'll look into it!

I've been using alphas based on photo's of barnicles for the detailing on the hat. Be good to see you in the challenge!

Made a little turntable of the model using Zbrushes presets, heres the link so you can see the whole model for any crits/comments etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6305L8vVHM

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 92 28-07-2007 , 07:04 AM
Subscriber
this is coming on by leaps and bonds

# 93 28-07-2007 , 10:56 PM
Cheers man,

been adding, moving and playing about for a bit, added eyes, but there only one in the pic as ive forgotten how to import the bloody eyes as subtools, haha, holds head!

Still, think its coming together pretty well, might move onto texturing him tomorrow, unless I can think of something else to add to him.

Attached Thumbnails

# 94 29-07-2007 , 12:00 AM
lol mate super i love it user added image

You use Zbrush to detailed it ?

# 95 29-07-2007 , 12:16 AM
Yeah I made the base mesh in maya, very quick modeling as he didnt have many features to him (as thats how I wanted) just kept the edge loops going and gave some basic form.

I then imported into zbursh added some geo sculpting the form as I went up the levels then just added and added with with comments and crits, and great advice.

Ive only used a few tools in Zbrush, the standard bush, tweek and the snake hook for the spikes/barbels, as well as some custom alpha brushes for the detailing on the hat.

Just had a look at a screen grab form the model that I started with, heres a comparison showing the base mesh that I imported and where i'm up to. Definatly going to have to re uv map him! (which I have been doing today)

Got a shock with the difference, check it out!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 96 29-07-2007 , 12:36 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Steve

getting better each time. For the eyes, go to the sub tools palette, make sure you have the head in a Subtool layer layer, switch to the the 'star' tool, then import the eyes and then hit append in the subtools palette, then its a case of transpose to scale move or rotate into position. I found it best to do it on a lo res one in Maya first then svae the eyes out again as objs, then they should come straight in.

Oh a big thanks too, for the email...:bandit:

Cheers
Jay

# 97 29-07-2007 , 12:43 AM
Nice improvements gster123! Looking alot better now.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 98 29-07-2007 , 12:53 AM
Steve,

With regard to redoing the uvs, export a lo res obj of him. Do the uvs then paint him up and bring in the newly uv'd obj and apply that as a morph target in Zbrush and the uvs should hopefully transfer across. Just read the polypainting help as I may havemissed something out...

But then saying that you dont need to even do the uvs in z3 anymore because it doesnt really use them!! hahahahaha.....

cheers
Jay

# 99 29-07-2007 , 01:07 AM
hehe, yeah know what you mean Jay!

Ive been re uving him a couple of times when ive made bid changes and doing what you said, works a treat! Bit silly re uving all the time but I didnt know where I was going or if that would have been the final model, one good thing is I needed the practice!

Think what i''ll do is add some details using some alpha's (number 92 I think, Jay) then paint it using the Projection master on the high poly, (no need for PS and painful texture stretching LOL) I'll export the colour map, then export as an obj into Z2to make the displacements, bump etc. The napply the colpour to the shader that I made for the project and render using mental ray in maya

Well thats the plan, if it goes as smooth as that i'll be surprised!

# 100 29-07-2007 , 02:31 AM
10x for advice user added image user added image

# 101 29-07-2007 , 02:36 AM

# 102 29-07-2007 , 03:33 AM
Steve

What file format is the final movie? As in the ZB viewer you can only save it as a zmv file. I'd like to put a couple of Z heads on my website you see

Cheers
Jay

# 103 29-07-2007 , 03:36 AM
No Matter, I'll use the export as an .mov file.....DOH!!!

Cheers
jay

# 104 29-07-2007 , 03:38 AM
hehe, yeah its in a .mov file, took me a while to get the settings right via the movie panel, etc etc

Think the best thing is to give it a lead in and a lead out to get rid of the Zbrush logo, add some frames by rotating your objest round further than you want it to start with, and then give it more rotations out, otherwise you might get left with more "Zbrush3" logo than model, like my first one, LOL!

Looking forward to seeing your stuff in it!

Last edited by gster123; 29-07-2007 at 03:41 AM.
# 105 29-07-2007 , 04:24 AM
hehe yeah i found that out the hard way too!

I'll put it on the site once Im happy with it and then give you a shout

Just off to finish the next Outlaws page....
Later
Jay