Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 27-08-2007 , 10:26 PM
in case anyone's interested, while looking through the zbrush forums, i saw a moderator say that you can install z brush on up to 2 pcs so long as you don't use them both at the same time...

https://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/sho...rush+computers

sorry for hijacking your thread jay. :blush:

# 47 28-08-2007 , 02:17 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Arran :No Probs mate. I will add that I actually run ZB2 and ZB3, its worth keeping 2 in my opinion while I still get into version 3. Im not overly sure how the licensing works over two machines, Im sure you can get a server license.

Oh yes you can paint on the actual model in 3d space now, and you dont need uvs either, you can add them after if you want, then generate a texture of any size up to 8k. Its that flexible!

Jr Who: Read the post before you comment, I'd already mentioned the fact that tearducts needed putting in.

Steve: thanks man, I havent used projection master on any of this. I dont think I'll need to now either.

Funky Bunnies: Thanks for the crit, I agree it needs a couple of extra nuances around those areas. I shall sort out for sure...

Thanks to the other guys too for their crit

I'm just hoping to get this finished on time as my week is a bit mad atm. Hopefully Friday I'll blitz it and drop my entry in.

Cheers
Jay

# 48 28-08-2007 , 06:03 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Jay
Jr Who: Read the post before you comment, I'd already mentioned the fact that tearducts needed putting in.

Oh, sorry. I was distracted by the awesome picture, and forgot to read the post! :lmao:

# 49 29-08-2007 , 02:38 AM
LOL cool! Thanks glad you like it...

_J

# 50 29-08-2007 , 08:54 AM
Jay, I didn't see your entry until now. Looking fantastic mate! Definitely one of my favorites.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 51 29-08-2007 , 02:00 PM
Perfecto

Many thanks. I kind of snuck in the back door with this one...

Cheers
Jay

# 52 29-08-2007 , 03:19 PM

# 53 30-08-2007 , 12:17 AM
Sweet Jay!

Looks great!

What material are you painting onto in Z?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 54 30-08-2007 , 03:38 AM
Just thinking man, I would be tempted to make the ananome (not too sure if thats spelt right) quite a bright vibrant colour, just to offset his colour scheme but keep it sort of in the same pallete, kinda make it look like its moved in and aint really part of him if you know what I mean.

bit of an example of what I mean

https://www.imagequest3d.com/pages/cu...emone/r044.jpg

Just a thought mate.

# 55 30-08-2007 , 05:59 PM
Subscriber
sweet render, Jay!

I really like the color choices, though I think you could highlight a couple more areas with them - like the lips and nostrils to fake translucency.

Reeally awesome job, can't wait to see the final!

user added image

# 56 31-08-2007 , 05:47 AM
Thanks Guys

Steve: Yeah the anemone will be brighter for sure on the final render. I found some nice stuff very similar to your link on google, the tentacles will be a bit brighter once rendered.

funkybunnies:

Many thanks, I'll try and address those parts, but im just looking to get it posted by tonight before the 1st looms and bites my butt.

I'll post up a mayerials and work flow in the final post..

Cheers
Jay

# 57 31-08-2007 , 08:17 AM
nice work mate! That looks really cool - I really like the slightly metallic sheen to him - sort of gives him a scaly/seaweed kind of feel.

Well done!user added image user added image

# 58 31-08-2007 , 11:22 AM
Nice going on your final entry man, looks great!

Any plans to put him into maya for a test with the SS shader?? I think he would look great, get some dispalcement maps on him (and tell me yor workflow if it turns out well as I couldent get it going as well as what it appears you can form Zbrushcentral, lol!)

I had to map it form level 3 to 6 to get it looking good.

anywho from my rambelings, great job man!!

good luck!

# 59 31-08-2007 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber
Great work on this, Jay. I really dig the final, though it looks like you ran outta time at the last second user added image

Even so, majorly badass work, man user added image
Hats off to ye!

# 60 31-08-2007 , 11:08 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks. yeah I just didnt have the time to do what i wanted at the end of the day, I'm on holiday and I like my down time as much as I love my 3d work. But I'm going to do a bit extra on this for my portfolio, so once thats done I'll post it up for you to see. This whole thing is done in Zbrush (apart from the base mesh) right down to rendering. I want to add the sss stuff to him and the displacements etc in Maya and do a kick ass render.

To be honest I never ever like my own work at the end of the day, and never expect others to like it either ( Im weird like that) but its nice that you guys like it and I appreciate the kind words. Everyone has worked hard, and the pressure is moreso when you are learning a newer piece of software, because expectations are higher to produce. So anyone else who has percevered with that obstacle - well done. I know you have Steve, good job dude. I'll post up my work flow later for you...

And the best of Luck to EVERYONE!!

Cheers
Jay