Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-07-2008 , 04:03 PM

What to model....?

I hope this is the right forum for this! If not, very sorry.

Anyways, I was wondering what I should model.. I was thinking something to do with the interior of houses... eg, couches, chairs, etc

I've already made a couch though. I'm kind of new at Maya, so whatever suggestions are made, it would be nice if they were something relatively easy to model and texture, because I'm new at Maya. It would be good practice, and eventually with all the interior stuff I'd create, I think that I could make a nice indoor scene... user added image

Thank you everyone, and I hope this is in the right forum!

# 2 25-07-2008 , 05:10 PM
19 year Veteran
If your capable of modeling interiors then go for it. Show us what you got. user added image

# 3 25-07-2008 , 07:03 PM
haha, well, I'm not really capable yet but I was hoping that people could suggest some furniture or something for me to model.. I've made a couch, but the model is kind of embarrasing user added image

Eh.. I guess it can't hurt to show you the couch though... as horribly textured and simplisticly modeled as it is!

So, I attached the couch....

Can anyone give me suggestions for some interior pieces to model (so that I can get good at it) and critique my couch? I know the textures aren't good, but it was basically my second thing I've ever textured.

So.. what should I model next to get better at modeling?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 25-07-2008 , 07:37 PM
19 year Veteran
Thats not bad at all. I recommend that you show some wire frames to show your edge flow.

# 5 25-07-2008 , 07:59 PM
Random idea # 43012: You could model a table.

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 6 25-07-2008 , 08:42 PM
Speaking of random - maybe try modeling Acid44's monkey (roflmaool) ...
If you're looking for interior just walk around your own house and admire your furniture once again - try what you think your up to you.
Worst case scenario: model a wall and :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
But I'm just kidding. If you dont find anything for your level try some tutorials from 'Help'->'Tutorials'

When you're posting your work it should usually be in WIP(work in progress) or Finished Work forums...

Hope this helps,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 7 26-07-2008 , 06:13 AM
sounds like you have plenty of ideas. Just look around your house and grab whatever interests you. start off with things that you are pretty sure you know how to model (like a table or chair) and then move onto things that you're not sure about and might be a bit harder (like a fan or tv). a good place to look is the kitchen - lots of gadgets. don't worry too much about what you're modeling - at the moment you're just doing it to practise.

# 8 27-07-2008 , 07:20 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, etc.

I've already modeled a table, so.. I think next I'll model a TV. I will look around the kitchen. That is a good idea.

Thank you everyone!

# 9 27-07-2008 , 11:57 AM
Ok... Well, do you think I should create a WIP thread, to keep track and get C&C on all my models?

I think I will... unless there's some reason not to user added image

# 10 02-08-2008 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
What about modelling where your sat right now with maya open? Means you don't need to take photos or keep getting up for reference as it's all there infront of you.

A good example of this was done by Fredriksson (hope he doesn't mind me dragging this up) back on the old summer tournament M set up.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 04-08-2008 , 10:18 PM
whooooaaa.. Those both look like pictures to me. but I think the one on the left is a picture, the one on the right is a render?

# 12 05-08-2008 , 04:37 AM
Subscriber
Yep, that's right. Shame mine wasn't quite as good lol.

# 13 05-08-2008 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
it would be a fair bit harder to tell if the render was a photo or not if the photo wasn't next to it, but i think the drink bottle lets it down the most...

there you go bluethunder, you can model a drink bottle! user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 08-08-2008 , 07:46 PM
So I could! I suppose. A bottle like that one, or possibly a different one... hmmm

*Continues thinking....*

By the way, I have a W.I.P thread, in which I've already started modeling some stuff.. I guess a bottle will be next user added image

# 15 09-08-2008 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber
yeah i know, i've already posted to it user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D