Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-07-2003 , 12:40 AM

BIG Texturing Issue

First off, my apologies if I look like a retard and this has been posted eveywhere before. I can't quite figure out how to state this problem under Google.

The Problem : Every time I try to texture map my subdiv-made model, 90% of the faces on it get THE ENTIRE texturemap (especially annoying in 3D paint mode), and only a few actually get the piece of the map they're supposed to.

The Example :
user added image

Any help is very much appreciated.

# 2 10-07-2003 , 04:00 AM
Subscriber
You have to uv map it first-

there is a good tutorial here on the site about that.

or... I would suggest mapping it while its still in polys. you can use the automatic mapping for a quick fix, but that creates a bit of a messy set of uv's.

or... There also is a script on this forum called Danny's UV helper ( or something like that user added image)

I like to select groups of faces and planar map them, then arrange them in the uv editor.

good luck!

# 3 10-07-2003 , 04:03 AM
Subscriber

# 4 10-07-2003 , 05:35 PM
Mega-thanks.

# 5 10-07-2003 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
no-problemo!

how did it work out for you?

# 6 10-07-2003 , 11:08 PM
Automatic mapping did the trick. The UV map is still screwed beyond remodelling or spending 20+ hours fixing it, but it looks nicer now. (picture soon. ^__^)

Small question #2, if I may. I'm trying to paint weight values (Skin==>Edit Smooth Skin==>Paint Skin Weight Tool), but when I try to add a join to Influence, it says, "Warning: Item not found: joint5" or whatever the name of the joint I try to add happens to be. Any clue on that one? ^^

# 7 10-07-2003 , 11:30 PM
Subscriber
skinning/rigging is something I am trying to learn myself... so I cant help you there.

but there are alot of guys around this site who could help, lets hope they read this post user added image

# 8 12-07-2003 , 07:04 AM
I found out; you're supposed to click the model, not the joints.