Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 121 17-02-2006 , 10:44 AM
cheers arran user added image
Just keep your mesh fairly simple, I uvmapped the basic mesh and then polysmoothed after (being careful not to delete that bit of its history). What I found with shave and cut however is that you need to apply it to a smoothed version. If you apply it to a basic mesh and then smooth it then it ends up with big patches all over user added image

I was trying to do a uvmap like jramauri's but the nose was making things stretch a lot. The compromise was to do it as if you were looking down from the top and then cut it along the bottom edge of the neck (it will be covered in fur anyway so a join line would be fine).

Lol at the bjork and her beasts idea - though I did have to re-read 'beasts' just to make sure.... user added image

Thanks jramauri, it seems to put a grid on only when you render the hair (must be as its the demo version). I think I'll have a look at render layers and do the hair separately so that only a little photoshopping is needed to get rid of the grid in the final piece.
Good point about the mouth, I've got a bumpmap set up but it needs some tweaking after the fur is all on user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 17-02-2006 at 10:48 AM.
# 122 17-02-2006 , 01:03 PM
Hey Mr. Tickle, how about Shave and Haircut render times? Have you done a quality render already, using things like final gather and HDRI light? I'm considering use it, if my attempt with modeled hair fails. But if the render times are longer, I'll go back to Maya hair, as I already have hair made in advance.

# 123 17-02-2006 , 01:09 PM
Great .
good job!:bow:

# 124 17-02-2006 , 07:28 PM
Hey T1ck, Thanks for your help. I have tried adjusting my map. I am a little confused though. Do I need to smooth my mesh before taking it into Photoshop? I am not using shave and cut (though it is tempting to give my hippo a moustache).

user added image

# 125 17-02-2006 , 08:34 PM
hey jramauri, the render I posted is on default settings with default lights and no mental ray/final gather etc.. It took a few minutes but thats because I've created patches of fur so I can play with various bits as I go on (admittedly its making the process long winded).
I'm guessing that you'd have far less hair and in a far less density than fur on byork's head so the default render times would be no more than a minute or two. With everything turned on I dont really know though it is apparently really fast for stuff like that.
Also one thing to note is that it apparently only works with spot lights but I haven't set anything in the image I posted eariler and it would pass as a good alternative to paintFX.

thanks Maiz78, still plenty of fur to add yet user added image

just posted in your thread arran - its better to uvmap on the basic mesh before smoothing. It makes it far easier to play about mainly because there are so many less polygons to worry about. I've been using this image as well instead of the default checkers as its easier to track which column/row matches up with detached parts (like ears etc):
https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/checker_512.gif

- give the hippo a tash after the competition user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 126 19-02-2006 , 06:51 PM
redoing the fur at the minute as I was making small patches which were taking ages to change/update. I've changed it so that there are three main patches (eyes/nose, head area and neck) as well as a few fine patches around the tip of the nose.

This is just a quick test render on the default settings and shows that I need to start changing the fur length in certain areas, sculpt it around the ears and blend it together on the nose tip and around the eyes. Oh and increase the fur density when I'm happy user added image

Lots to do!

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull23a.jpg

www.flash-fx.net
# 127 19-02-2006 , 07:12 PM
Wow! Fantastic work t1ck - your model is really beginning to look like a polar bear now. Excellent!

No crits from me - it looks and sounds like you know what to do. thanks for posting the image map and keep up the good work!

# 128 19-02-2006 , 08:11 PM
Wow! Good work! Congratulations. One question: from what I read in Shave's manual, you could do fur on entire model, and then comb the fur properly, the way it must be. Or make fur longer or shorter, depending on the place you want. So, why make a million of diferent patches? You have a plan in mind I don't know, ya little sly boy?

# 129 20-02-2006 , 12:05 PM
cheers guys - my girlfriend said it had pipecleaner ears at the moment though user added image

jramauri - I've just been playing with different ways to do it user added image
I dont know whether you can change the actual thickness (root and tip) of the hairs (not the density) using a map or not and because I was having fun playing I didnt check (tut tut).

Also I was having trouble selecting clumps of hair when brushing tight areas like around the eyes/ears but have got that one figured out now user added image

With everything as default it takes somewhere between 3 and 8 minutes (cant remember exactly) to render at the minute and the settings are probably totalling somewhere around 100,000+ hairs.

www.flash-fx.net
# 130 20-02-2006 , 05:38 PM

Originally posted by t1ck135
cheers guys - my girlfriend said it had pipecleaner ears at the moment though user added image

Ha Ha! Yes, your girlfriend has a point - They do look a bit like pipecleaners, but I am sure that you are on it.

# 131 20-02-2006 , 09:21 PM
Just another quick render from a different view. I've upped the fur around the ears (still needs more) and styled it a bit better on the head.
I think I'm going to either add the number of hair passes on the renders, whiten the underlying skin or add another fur patch on the areas which look a little bald. It doesn't seem to be making a difference adding the hair numbers.

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull23b.jpg

www.flash-fx.net
# 132 20-02-2006 , 09:41 PM
Taking a look at this image https://www.mikelevin.com/PolarBearCloseup1024.jpg , I saw that the skin aren't so aparent. Just on the muzzle. You said that increasing the hair numbers has no effect? Even in higher quality presets of render? What a strange!

# 133 20-02-2006 , 09:42 PM
yeah... Iwould up the density of the fur all over the head... you cant see the skin xcept on the muzzle

But so far you have done a great job user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 134 21-02-2006 , 05:45 PM
cheers guys user added image

that photo (and another I found on the site) are good images - he's got some seriously thick fur that one - must be deep winter or something!
I've been averaging the reference photos I have out a little - some have full nose fur and others are a little thin on the nose. I quite like it a little thinned out just so the shape stays there.

The rest of the head definately needs more though - think I'll be over 200,000 hairs soon user added image
To help I've increased the thickness of the roots a little and its helped to get rid of most of the gaps in the fur. I'll try increasing it a little more now and tackle the front of the nose to get it blended in. Then its those crazy ears and getting some severe fur on the inside user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 135 21-02-2006 , 10:56 PM