Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-02-2011 , 04:28 PM
Subscriber

What is Vertex Face good 4 ?

Does anyone know what vertex face good for?

# 2 17-02-2011 , 04:41 PM
Lifetime Member
It can be really handy when painting weight maps in tight areas. It not used very often but if you need to access a specific vertex normal or color a vertex for any reason thats the way to do it, prelighting might be one example.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 17-02-2011 at 04:48 PM.
# 3 19-02-2011 , 05:24 AM
its very irritating when i am modeling , sometime its appear on accidentally click, I never use this option, but is that anyway that I can turn it off or remove it from right click?

wait for someone respond.

How to remove it from right click menu?

# 4 19-02-2011 , 10:14 AM
Subscriber
Aha, I see. Thanks user added image

# 5 19-02-2011 , 05:14 PM
Lifetime Member
dubai3d ..it can be removed but its extremely complicated to explain. to be honest i wouldn't attempt it unless you are very very proficient in MEL because you need to manually edit the dagMenuProc.mel script and its a very long and complicated script that sets a lot of the context sensitive menus.
i don't have to tell you that if you mess the script up you would have to reinstall Maya to reinstate it.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 6 20-02-2011 , 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
If you put a copy of it into your user script folder (My Documents\maya\scripts) then you can mess around with it. But editing the original is just asking for trouble as you said.

- Genny
# 7 20-02-2011 , 12:17 PM
rm3d
hey im glad i looked at this thread i would never have thought of using it for weight maps, handy id ur missing a certain face or something, but could someone explain how to keep the wieght map tool open with the vertex face selection, if the model is in object mode then i can start to paint the weight maps, but as soon as i change the select to vertex face the weight map tool deselects user added image

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 8 10-01-2018 , 10:55 AM

Does anyone know what vertex face good for?

I know this Thread is very old but for the sake of other people coming across it,
another use I've found for Vertex Face is to find accidental extrusions.

I sometimes have a problem where I'll accidentally extrude something and do nothing with it and when I try adding some edges it won't let me because there is something in the way.

Using VertexFaces, it allows me to see random "Edges" between faces that aren't meant to be there, so this way I can fix it a lot easier.

# 9 15-01-2018 , 05:18 PM
SM Tea Boy

I know this Thread is very old but for the sake of other people coming across it,
another use I've found for Vertex Face is to find accidental extrusions.

I sometimes have a problem where I'll accidentally extrude something and do nothing with it and when I try adding some edges it won't let me because there is something in the way.

Using VertexFaces, it allows me to see random "Edges" between faces that aren't meant to be there, so this way I can fix it a lot easier.

I use it for this as well

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"