Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-08-2003 , 12:42 PM

importing into maya 5

I'm trying to import a model thats a .obj file (exported from lightwave 7.5), into maya 5 but it keeps coming up with this message in the script editor:-

pv_performAction "/Users/tt/Desktop/Gerald-versions/g4.obj" "OBJ";
file -import -type "OBJ" -namespace "g4" -options "mo=1" "/Users/tt/Desktop/Gerald-versions/g4.obj";
// Result: /Users/tt/Desktop/Gerald-versions/g4.obj //
// Result: 1 //
playbackOptions -min 1 -max 48 ;
currentTime 2 ;
currentTime 1 ;

:- but theres no sign of the object i'm trying to import?
Does anybody know why it's not working?

If it helps the model was originaly a .lwo file type

Last edited by juice690; 13-08-2003 at 02:53 PM.
# 2 13-08-2003 , 05:48 PM
Have you tried framing your view (press 'f' or 'a')? Also, check Outliner to see if the shape is listed there. Chances are the scale is out of whack and you just can't see the shape clearly.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 14-08-2003 , 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply, I've tried pressing f and a, no joy though.
Im not sure what to do once i've opened the outliner menu but there doesn't seem to be any sign of the model anywhere...

When I do try to import the model Maya reads the file very quicky and comes up with the above message, so im not sure if theres a problem with .obj file itself.

# 4 14-08-2003 , 10:58 AM
YaY!! I managed to import the file... user added image in the end I imported using dxf which I had tried before but this time i reduced the size and clicked a few buttons ( not sure which ones ;-) and it worked!

Thanks for the help.