Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-02-2020 , 11:11 AM

Simple Expression not working!

Hi, can anyone tell me why this expression is not working in Maya 2017 or Maya 2020 when it does work in Maya 2015!?

float $newPosn ;

if (frame == 1){

$newPosn = 0.0;

}

pCube1.translateY = $newPosn;

$newPosn = $newPosn + 1.0;

It is driving me mad as I need to do something more complicated than this, but using the same principle of incrementing by a value each frame!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by azurecgi; 06-02-2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
# 2 07-02-2020 , 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
I'm guessing frame is supposed to be the current frame. If that's the case then querying the currentTime command is what you want to do. Basically, anything within the `` will be evaluated so you can get a usuable value that you can assign to a variable or compare to another value or whatever. And to assign your $newPosn value to the cube's translateY, then you want to use the setAttr command.

float $newPosn;
if (`currentTime -q` == 1){
$newPosn = 0.0;
}
setAttr pCube1.translateY $newPosn;
$newPosn = $newPosn + 1.0;

- Genny