Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-06-2007 , 01:31 PM

'Lost' manipulators

I have been hunting all over the net for a fix to this problem, it seems to be really common but no one ever provides a solution, there are a million open-ended threads with no answer!

My MANIPULATOR TOOL is not visible

I am trying to extrude a very basic polygon face, the show manipulator tool button highlights but the tool does not appear.

It isn't scaled incorrectly - I've tried pressing + / - indefinitely also have re-set the global scale settings. They are definitely switched on in the channels>settings area.

I've only just installed maya - this is my second ever scene and my first use of the tool. That coupled with the fact that this seems to be a common issue, I'm finding it hard to believe re-installing the software will help.

Some people have suggested it's a graphics card problem but I don't know anything about this kind of thing or even what card I have!

I'm using Maya version 8.0 on a mac G4.

Incidentally when I view the tool settings I get a blank window - I've tried edit>reset settings but there are no buttons or sliders in there to change (could I have a missing component in the software?)

pleeeeeeeeeeease help me, I feel like I might as well give up without this tool
:headbang:

# 2 16-06-2007 , 02:14 PM
Its mainly a graphics card issue, meaning that you might need to update the drivers for it.

I would suggest looking to see what card you have then download the correct drivers for it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 16-06-2007 , 02:23 PM
sorry, I'm a moron when it comes to things like this....

my system info for 'graphics'

ATI Radeon 9600: < < is this the card?

Chipset Model: ATY,RV351
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4150
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-117
Displays:
eMac:
Display Type: CRT
Resolution: 1152 x 864 @ 80 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display:

# 4 16-06-2007 , 02:25 PM
if so on amds website it says this:

Radeon® Series Drivers and Software for Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.3.x

Download Link File Size Version Date Posted Package Includes
ATI Displays Panel 6.94MB 4.5.7 Dec. 14, 2005 ATI Displays Panel
Retail Update 6.94MB N/A Dec. 14, 2005 Drivers and Plug-Ins*

Retail Update not required for Radeon® 9600 PRO PC & Mac Editions

# 5 16-06-2007 , 03:32 PM
Hey Man

It very well could be your graphics card, i'm not too up on the older macs (the G series) so I couldent tell you if its onboard or what.

I would check out the Autodesk qualification charts as I dont think that the card youve got is qualified to run maya.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 16-06-2007 , 04:35 PM
Jr.Who
I'm running a 9600 Pro, but I never had any problems like that. It could quite possibly be your computer though.

# 7 17-06-2007 , 09:10 AM
right, it is my computer model / graphics card (it's only just two years old :hug: )

it says maya will install and run but there are a few anomalies (including problems viewing manipulators)

so my question now evolves to........

will a new graphics card solve this, is it worth buying one or should I be thinking about a new computer (again) ?

thanks for all your help!! xx

# 8 17-06-2007 , 01:30 PM
Jr.Who
I'd say go with a new computer. My G5 is coming on 4 years old now and it's time to upgrade. Those new Intels are looking really nice.
user added image