Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-01-2016 , 01:24 PM

SimplyMaya Furniture tutorial Volume 4

I just finished part 3 of the 4th volume thats part of the furniture series and I have an issue with my render although I used exactly the same settings as in the tutorial, except for render quality.

user added image

Look at those areas, they seem to be some sort of reflections, I tried modifying some render settings but nothing seems to work, any idea ?

What I also dont understand is how Dave unwrapped the curtains, I dont think he used Headus because he has lots of tiny triangles, he probably used Automatic mapping but again what I dont understand is how he positioned all those pieces like that.

I tried using headus to unwrap the curtains and tried to get close to his result but I cant, as soon as I try to unwrap them it creates an unbelievable mess. I tried to use a plana or either Y axis in maya and then use the new unfold 3d, it creates a huge circle. I tried to unwrap on X, same result. user added image

This is Dave's result

user added image

No idea how he did it

Last edited by rBose; 18-01-2016 at 01:55 PM.
# 2 18-01-2016 , 04:38 PM
SM Tea Boy
I don't think that's a reflection issue I believe that to be a GI issue try increasing the FG quality or turning on the FG filter see if that makes a difference.

As for the UV on the curtains I did not do it, Marvelous Designer automatically creates the uv map on the cloth you create in it. One of the reasons it's used so much for cloth.

You can use headus to do it, try the segment section and then Segment marked polly's I do it sometimes if needed (normally not) it's a huge pain in the backside.

All the best
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 18-01-2016 , 05:53 PM
Thanks for the reply David,

That's a little bit embarrassing for me to hear but I guess it's the beginners mistake, I had no idea Marvelous automatically takes care of UVs, I went alone on this journey of making the UVs by hand in Headus and for 90% of the cloth from marvelous it worked fine except for the cloth near the couch.

Regarding those white spots in the render, it cant be GI as it isnt turned on yet, im at PART 4 ( 12 parts ) and you didnt turn GI on yet.

# 4 18-01-2016 , 11:27 PM
SM Tea Boy
Final gather is turned on, Final Gather is a type of global illumination. I'd bet my hat that's you're problem.

Turn on final gather filter and see if the problem goes away user added image
David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"