Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-03-2006 , 06:02 AM

Ripping DVD to AVI/*.tga

Hi,

Wasn't too sure where to post this, hopefully not in the wrong forum area:

I want to rip a DVD into a .avi (or preferably *.tga - targa) file. Reason is, is that I have some old work on DVD that I would like to add to my 3D maya showreel.

I'm aware that there are some freeware bits of software out there that can convert DVD to .avi but I have a feeling they are for home use and wouldn't be of sufficient quality for a professional showreel.

To my knowledge I don't think Premier Pro 2 / After Effects etc. can do this.

Any advise much appreciated.

Thanks
Jo

# 2 23-03-2006 , 06:16 AM
Subscriber
It all depends on how many frames you need to remove from the DVD. Understand the footage is already compressed and there will be a loss in Quality.

You could use WinDVD and simply step forward and use its snapshot feature. The files will be save to your PC in jpg format.

You could convert the VOBs to AVI and then import it into Premiere Pro and then export in TGA format.

Hope this helps.

or you could go to the best site on then net for this stuff:
VideoHelp

regards
Paul

# 3 23-03-2006 , 06:05 PM
never tried it but cant you do it in after effects, import the file then exprot as a image sequence?

I've used this for an AVI file and it worked fine

# 4 23-03-2006 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
Yes AE will allow you to export image sequences.

# 5 26-03-2006 , 05:05 AM
Thank you for your advice, I will try those things.

Many thanks
Jo