SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Dynamics & Special Effects / nParticles Output Mesh Problem

Dynamics & Special Effects Maya Particles, nDynamics, Fluids, Rigid Bodies & General VFX

Join the conversation. Reply to post

11-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
AidanP

nParticles Output Mesh Problem
Hi,

I'm trying to simulate water with nParticles, I have cached the simulation to disk but the output mesh changes in appearance during the simulation.

Between two frames, it suddenly goes from appearing noisy and turbulent to appearing smooth and calm. Below is an example:

http://twitpic.com/dcyr7q

Any help as to why it changes would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aidan
16-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
LauriePriest

It will all be in your meshing settings, the mesher in maya is pretty awful to be honest as it's ability to do decent water simulations. I would highly consider working with realflow as a easy to use out the box solution or houdini if you're feeling brave.

I'd start by increasing your meshing radius, I'd imagine your particles might be slighly further apart from one frame to the other. This can make a big difference as with slow or slighly seperated particles are lightly to be treated differently by the mesher. Meshing is an area of CG which is very much in flux and does requrie a fair amount of tweaking to get a good result.

Laurie