Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 24-05-2005 , 07:10 PM
Subscriber
Hello everyone. Thanks for all the replies. I am sad to say that I am going to trash my first atempt. Wasent turining out like it was supposed to, oh well. Thanks so much for all the help. Im kinda of getting the hang of modeling from two image planes, front and side. I never really realized how much it helps. But thanks again. I dont have to much time right now, so Ill post again later tonight. Hopefully with some progress.

# 32 25-05-2005 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
Ok, heres some updates. I restarted all over again, dont think that this model is what im going for either, used mhcannon's pic this time. Again, thx everyone, I think I might even do three evil knights in the game now. Sorda along the story line of each representing a different evil. Still thinking though. But please give some C&C on this. I know it probably wasent modeled right. Oh, and jango, what is that 20 sided poly thing you were talking about? Thx to mhcannon for the awsome pic, good job. Your pretty sweet. :attention:

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 25-05-2005 , 07:14 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Alien Science
Have Outlined that would be 20sided poly. Your new version is just so much better now, its all quads too!!

regards
_J

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 25-05-2005 , 11:41 AM
Subscriber
What is a 20 sided poly? Is it just cramming to much into one spot? I used bevel plus for the breast plate on my first atempt.

# 35 25-05-2005 , 12:14 PM
Are you patch modeling this one?

# 36 25-05-2005 , 07:11 PM
Subscriber
See the poly i've outlined in blue. Well thats a four sided poly because it has four sides belive it or not. Now the poly jango circled, i can't even see the one side of it and i can count 14 sides. You should try and keep your models with four sided polys if you can. Three sides is also ok but no more than four.

# 37 25-05-2005 , 07:12 PM
Subscriber
sorry, forgot image. (post above)

Attached Images
# 38 25-05-2005 , 07:36 PM
Your new knight look way better!
Keep it upuser added image

# 39 25-05-2005 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber
Hey thanks guys. Yeah, I like the new knight alot also. Must be from all the good pix, and I really dont 100% understand the whole poly thing, but I guess Ill leave that all up to yall to help me with user added image. Thanks again everyone, I will work on it tonight and hopefully post some progress. Oh, and no, this is not patch modeled, dont really know how to do that, but I made all this by making an outline in nurbs and then converted into polys. Is this a good method, I like to use the poly count option, just to control the amount of polys that are created. Also, about the reduce option under the poly selection, is that a good thing to do? Or does it just screw up the model?

Edit: What is a good tri count that I should aim for?

Last edited by alienscience; 25-05-2005 at 10:32 PM.
# 40 26-05-2005 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
Try it. That's what undo and save are for. However i've always found it messes up the model. So i'd just delete edges by hand. Your new model looks much better. Tri count will depend on the game it's for.

# 41 27-05-2005 , 12:51 AM
Subscriber
OK everyone, heres an update. Im pretty sure I screwed up in trying to lower the poly count but still make it look nice and all. Also I have started on the body inside the armor. I want it to be low low poly and am just going to apply a chainmail texture to all of it. So anyways, Heres a pic. Tell me what you think I should change. If I did screw it up I have a backup of the first pic saved, so im good. Also, this will be for a third person RPG type game. So it will be kinda close, not far away in like a RTS I guess. Thanks everyone for my never ending newbness.

Thx,
-Ryan

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 27-05-2005 , 01:02 AM
Subscriber
actually, I think you can slim the count down even more. The area above the knee and the shin/calf area can probably be reduced by remove excess edge rings.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 43 27-05-2005 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
Ok, I might have a small update, well actually it may just be a step back to fix something, by tonight. But for now I have a question, why is it that when I delete my edges it dosent lower the tri count? Am I doing something wrong, or is there a better method?

# 44 28-05-2005 , 09:56 AM
Subscriber
after deleting the edges go into vertices mode and delete the verts that the deleted edges left behind.

# 45 28-05-2005 , 06:34 PM
Subscriber
If you end up with a lot of "loose" vertices, ie ones without an edge connected, you can delete them all by going into vertex mode, selecting everything and hitting the "delete" key on your keyboard (note that this is NOT the same as the delete vertex function).

This method will usually remove any loose vertices. However sometimes it will screw up, so make sure to check your model after using it, and be ready to undo. Also, it shouldn´t really be necessary very often, since you should make a habit of deleting the vertices after deleting an edge..

------------------------------------------------
Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
------------------------------------------------
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting