Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 14-01-2006 , 11:52 AM
Subscriber
the AGP quadro is 128mb DDR PNY Quadro FX mate

Chewy
# 17 14-01-2006 , 12:25 PM
look just over half way down the page and ull see that the X850 owns vidia on all benchmarks bar doom 3
https://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/r480.html
20% advantage on the FarCry engine.
I mean its up to you but you'll save a lot of money on a PCI-E X850XT i got mine for just over 150 and got a free game :attn:
I took a long time researching and tryin to get the best system i poss could for the cash cos it aint often i have 500£ for a PC, and looked around a lot then choose the ATI cos i didnt want to spend and extra £50 on something with 20% less performance.
If you get any card though make sure its a good brand who make it e.g. Powercolour or Sapphire or something cos it can make huge differences in performace and also compatablity.
Im biased towards nvidia cos they've givin me nothing but probs + i like supporting the underdog:bandit:
Have fun with whatever card u getuser added image

# 18 14-01-2006 , 03:18 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chewy
the AGP quadro is 128mb DDR PNY Quadro FX mate

Exactly what model is it? Also, how much are you looking to sell it for?

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 19 14-01-2006 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber

Chewy
# 20 14-01-2006 , 03:42 PM
Subscriber
Sorry to keep bothering you with questions, but does the card need to be plugged directly into the power supply like some of the newer ones do, or is it powered through the AGP like my FX5600XT (eg just plugged into the AGP slot - no other connections).

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 21 14-01-2006 , 03:45 PM
Subscriber
AGP connection only mate

Chewy
# 22 15-01-2006 , 09:35 AM
I have a saphire Raideon 9600xt pro its great and cheap at 70 us

Looking for a Job
Aim :hondahunter614
My Portfolio
https://photobucket.com/albums/y157/bizzarostormy614/Portfolio/
# 23 15-01-2006 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
just picked up my ati firegl v5100 today
its a nice card but hard to track down
works a treat

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 24 23-01-2006 , 07:45 AM
Subscriber

Re: Graphics card....

hmm lol ive just upgraded my computer (yet again lol)

its an

AMD Athalon64 3500 Processor

ASUS SLI PCI-E mobo

Seasonic S12-600 PSU

1gb of Crucial RAM

Would like to know what everyone is currently recommending for a graphics card thats either FireGL or Quadro thats around £150 mark... doesnt have to have SLI... will do without it... just wanting to have a low end card that can cover majority of graphic work

thanks in advance!

I think the cheapest workstation card you can get would probably be an ATI card. I bought a FireGL v5000 for dirt cheap and it's not bad. It runs wireframe really really well. It improved lag big time compared to my old card which was a gaming card. The v5000 is built exactly for modeling with high polies but when it comes to rendering, it does it's job but nothing to brag about.

The Quadra FX is better, but not by much according to some benchmark ive researched on, but it comes at a really hefty price if your'e willing to pay for it. Personally, if I had the money to burn, I'd go for the Quadra or the Wildcatz. user added image
Performance for cheap, I'd go with the FireGL.

# 25 23-01-2006 , 07:46 AM
Subscriber

hmm can anyne confirm the above that a Radeon x850 xt will run maya with little problems compared to a low end quadro card?

x850 runs maya fine, but it's not built for open GL and that's what maya is.

PS: If you play pc games, you better not get a workstation card, because it sucks big donkey!

Last edited by Anhslaught; 23-01-2006 at 07:49 AM.
# 26 29-01-2006 , 10:21 PM
Sorry but i think that article is bogus on every test i have seen ati performed worse.. except the latest generation x1900 i believe it's called..

https://www.hardware.info/reviews/ATI...re_Test/603/13

Originally posted by jhubbard
look just over half way down the page and ull see that the X850 owns vidia on all benchmarks bar doom 3
https://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/r480.html
20% advantage on the FarCry engine.
I mean its up to you but you'll save a lot of money on a PCI-E X850XT i got mine for just over 150 and got a free game :attn:
I took a long time researching and tryin to get the best system i poss could for the cash cos it aint often i have 500£ for a PC, and looked around a lot then choose the ATI cos i didnt want to spend and extra £50 on something with 20% less performance.
If you get any card though make sure its a good brand who make it e.g. Powercolour or Sapphire or something cos it can make huge differences in performace and also compatablity.
Im biased towards nvidia cos they've givin me nothing but probs + i like supporting the underdog:bandit:
Have fun with whatever card u getuser added image

# 27 30-01-2006 , 06:26 PM
took you a while to find an article to back up nvidia, + what makes that article any more trustworthy than the one i found. Nice try though.

# 28 24-02-2006 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
I've got both, never had a problem with nvidea (GeForce Go 7300 for the laptop), never had aproblem with ATI 9600XT Pro (until I upgraded a the driver and had to roll back) but open GL with ATI, as has been mentioned has been iffy at times, espesially with 'affter effects.'

take it easy and life will be easy
# 29 25-02-2006 , 10:54 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Just for the record, I was reading an old 3d world mag, and there was an article on games cards vs workstation cards, on the final say they pretty much agreed that the game cards game out better than a workstation card on 3d software, worth bearing in mind before anyone splashes out on a few hundred quids worth of FXcard or thereabouts you'll save a shed load of cash

_J

# 30 26-02-2006 , 04:48 AM

Originally posted by jhubbard
nah nvidia mobo drivers are the worst that exist they are pretty much a virus with a brand name, i h8 nvidia for the price they dont touch ATI cards, its been proven.

I use nVidia nForce2 drivers all the time, they work like a charm.

If you like ATI -- okay... but

1) Claiming videocards suck due to motherboard drivers makes no sense, and
2) nVidia shaderpipes are actually more powerful than ATI's...
ATI just puts more of them on them and clocks them up higher to balance out.

nVidia's sitting on plenty of technology right now... ATI too, but I think less than nVidia at the moment (though ATI's eDRAM may make a switch depending on how they implement it consumer-grade.)

Both Radeons and GeForces(most) can be converted to their FireGL/Quadro counterparts via either hardware flash or nVstrap drivers (google RivaTuner) being that both cards are actually their high-end counterparts... driver-locked out of all the professional functions (both to speed up the system with the smaller driver size and to force an extra 300$ to unlock the cards)

Edit!!!!:

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=17109

My little tutorial on how to PCIID-swap a GeForce (doesn't work with any 7800-line, and some 6X00-lines, and some 3rd party (ASUS for example) boards... check the Rivatuner forums to see if your card's compatible)