Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 01-09-2009 , 07:00 PM
EduSciVis-er
Looks really good so far. I like the design. Not so sure about the knees(?) though... I think it might look better with a bit more of an insecty joint type, but I guess it's up to you. And the bottom joint looks a bit like just a piece coming out of a pipe...

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to seeing the sculpting!

# 32 04-09-2009 , 05:09 PM
Thanks Stwert,

I left the joints on the knees to be done in ZB, as with the bottom parts of the legs too, but glad you are liking it so far!

Have been messing around with a few ideas, and one I've decided to definitely do is his brain showing at the back of his head.
Here's a quick example of what I mean, not going to use this pass in the final model, will re-do it a bit better once I've tweaked my brain Alpha I've created.

More to come soon, just playing about with different ideas on various versions of him at the moment so may post some different ideas as they come up.

Attached Images
# 33 05-09-2009 , 07:32 AM
The Nurb Herd
user added image

# 34 05-09-2009 , 09:38 AM
Hammer:

Without a comment with your picture, it really is unclear what you mean.

So someone has done something similar before, and?

Could you try to be a little more constructive with crits please, and a little less sacastic. Sticking a picture like that, without any comment stating a reason why you have, just makes you seem like you have searched for any way possible to be negative.

Great, it's been done before, a more apt picture would have been one of those creatures from Resident Evil, mine looks more like those.

# 35 05-09-2009 , 02:08 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Finally... it has begun. user added image

I like the brain idea. Gonna have to spread some of that detail to the rest of the face... try to really solidify that expression.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 36 05-09-2009 , 02:12 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
don't take stuff to personal dango, yours looks great and I don't think hammer horror meant it like that .

And who cares that there's someone that made a better image than yours it's about getting better at what you do so if you have "better " examples learn from them take what you need from their creation and give it a twist of your own.

On a related subject maybe you can do a skull like in the drawover below?

Attached Images
# 37 05-09-2009 , 02:51 PM
Cheers Steve!
Sorry for keeping you waiting.....lol!
I will move onto the facial detailing now I think, don't want to concentrate too much on one part of the model for too long, just move around building it up bit by bit. Am having a lot of fun doing it!

Thanks Mastone!

I wasn't annoyed with a picture being posted of something similar, or as an example of a reference, it's just that posting an image without actually writing why seems very much like "look, someone did it first, this is how it should look"
I apologise to Hammer if he was just trying to help, but without any comment it's not really going to come across that way.

Thanks for taking the time to sketch that out, I'll definitely take a look at the sizing and shaping and give it a go!

More to come soon, I'm doing some shaping and detailing on the body at the moment, and will get a bit done to the face soon too.

# 38 05-09-2009 , 04:28 PM
The Nurb Herd
hahaha, well i'm sorry i offended you.

i just meant it as a "here is a reference, you could look at" It is a picture of a Licker from resident evil. I figured it might help. you should really start working from references, everything you seem to model comes from your head. thats not a bad thing, but I would suggest you use references of similar things or whatever.

btw, if someone has done something similar before its not such a bad thing. it should just give you more references to look at.

posting an image without actually writing why seems very much like "look, someone did it first, this is how it should look"

I think you are being very negative here. "look, someone did it first, this is how it should look" wouldn't be my first thought.

if you want to comment more on your model then my opinion is that the head and the body are dissimilar to one another.
The head is very cartoony looking and the body is heading for a more "realistic" look. The head doesn't seem very scary or creepy if that was the intended look, i think its perhaps due to the teeth or the grin/smile that it has. The expression is more of a happy panting dog. I'm not really a fan of the horns (both sets) either, they seem like an after thought.

The body looks cool, I like the chest and topology. it may look good with a larger lower part, I think that was mentioned before tho.

Last edited by honestdom; 05-09-2009 at 07:58 PM.
# 39 05-09-2009 , 08:39 PM
Well in that case Hammer, cheers for trying help!

Next time please explain your reasons for posting an image though, it is appreciated when you are trying to help, and forgive me if I seem rude, but your comments can sometimes seem quite sarcastic, and you (as your name Honest Dom hints at...lol) can be rather blunt at times, which can easily be taken the wrong way when reading it and not talking face to face.

Didn't realise that was the "Licker" either, because it's a pic of a mask of him! Again, thanks for the ref image.

The face does need work to bring it together with the body, but that will be done soon and hopefully it'll fit better then.

The horns, well, I like them, personal preference I guess, maybe they'll seem to fit better with some more work to them, and some texturing.

Thanks for your comments on the body and topology, I am quite happy with it being the first full organic thing I've done, hopefully I'll still be saying that once it's finished!

# 40 05-09-2009 , 11:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
Again, I'm liking the progress and am looking forward to more detailing and various ideas...

If I may jump in on the side discussion here hopefully without offending anyone, I would commend Dango for trying to create something without references. Being original is something that I believe is of value in the industry. I.e. I don't think a portfolio of reproductions of fictional characters would sell...

I also understand the importance of references, but I think they should be used more for real-life things and for components of larger original pieces. I actually took hammer's picture to mean "look, it's been done before, you weren't being as original as you thought..." and it's true that it's quite hard to do something without something out there looking similar to it, whether you're aware of it or not.

Anyway, just my two cents...

# 41 06-09-2009 , 12:12 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Don't think you offended anyone with this but you never knowuser added image

I disagree on your statement however, even with fictional characters there has to be some sort of believeability and I KNOW for a fact that even the best artist in the world if any such entity exists will not draw from memory autistic savants excluded of course.

thing is he is making an alien head of some sort on an arachnid body to make this believeable he has to get the head to "match"with the body and the arachnid body has to have some arachnid resemblance in it.
To make an exaggeration for clarifiyng purpose only ;
you can't put a clownshead on a horses body it will brake it's believeability.
You can match different creatures ofcourse but they have to have bits and pieces of each other either in color texture and/or shape to make them believeable.
So to make the clownshead believeable you could give it a horsemouth and horseears, on the body I would add clownsshoes for feet or a blow up sadle or maybe even pants with nice purple bubbles
I always collect ref images as much as i can find.

# 42 06-09-2009 , 12:25 AM
The Nurb Herd
i completely disagree, if you want to get a job in this industry then it is mostly copying stuff that has been created in the concept process or is a real world object.
For an employer its difficult to tell someones ability if they only have made up creatures and stuff in their portfolio.

I think if i learned anything from my fine art degree; it would be that nothing is original.

# 43 06-09-2009 , 12:40 AM
EduSciVis-er
I still think originality can exist to some extent... so I guess what I'm getting from mastone and hammer here, is that if you want to be "original" with your stuff, you should create your own reference images first... based on existing material and your own ideas...

# 44 06-09-2009 , 12:52 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by hammer.horror
i completely disagree, if you want to get a job in this industry then it is mostly copying stuff that has been created in the concept process or is a real world object.
For an employer its difficult to tell someones ability if they only have made up creatures and stuff in their portfolio.

I think if i learned anything from my fine art degree; it would be that nothing is original.

I agree and I disagree.... It's FACT that you need good reference if you want to make a 'believable' or 'realistic character. Now this does not mean it has to be something that exists in the reality, or even something pre-existing in fiction. (something people will recognize). It can be something of your own design. Something original that you came up with. As long as you fully develop the character with concept art, and even things like back story, perhaps even looking into how the creature would function in reality, what it would breath, how it's anatomy works, what it eats... all these details can only add to the character. So, while I agree that the character must have good foundations, good design, and believability, it does NOT have to be something that has already been done.. while it might be good to have something in your portfolio that people can recognize, and judge accordingly, I think it's more important for them to see some originality. They need to know you have creativity, and imagination, and an eye for unique design, and the ability to work on unique creations and new concepts. They don't want to get board looking through your portfolio looking at stuff they've already seen. They're looking for that spark. It's not like they are going to have you model pre-existing characters. Your most likely going to be creating new characters for their own projects.

Anyway, this is of course my opinion on this particular type of artist. Creature/organic modeler. Obviously if your a car modeler/hard surface modeler, they're going to want to see stuff that actually does exist, for the most part.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 45 06-09-2009 , 01:26 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Mayaniac
It's not like they are going to have you model pre-existing characters. Your most likely going to be creating new characters for their own projects.

I work for a company that do a lot of mainstream movies and commercials. You will never do something you have created, it will 99.99% copying something that has been designed by some other people.