Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-07-2010 , 03:03 PM
rm3d

lights in a render

hey i really want a light to shine at my camera, it is a point light and has a lens flare glow attached, how can i render that into the final image, only the light hitting objects can be seen not the actual source! is there a simple tick box to make it visible???

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 2 30-07-2010 , 04:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
Lights aren't true geometry, so they're not going to show up. Besides, a point light by definition is a single point source of light, so even if it was geometry, it would only be a pixel or something. Try creating some geometry, like a sphere around it or just behind it and assign it a simple white surface shader.
Just my thoughts on this, I could be wrong. Hope it helps.

# 3 30-07-2010 , 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
If you're using Mental Ray then it won't show as its not supported. You're going to have to render out a Maya software layer for the glow.

- Genny
# 4 31-07-2010 , 10:01 AM
rm3d
ohh well that makes sense. shame really mental ray practically does everything else. user added image

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 5 01-08-2010 , 08:13 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

shame really mental ray practically does everything else

wait till you get to rendering hair its a whole other story