Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-04-2003 , 11:49 AM
Subscriber

rig like this ?

hey guys
does anyone know of any tutorials teach you to rig like this ?
or does mike's cover all this stuff ?
cya
mumbo

# 2 18-04-2003 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
ahh cool thats the project thats being undertaken by some ppl at CGTalk...As for the rigging itself...im not aware of any tutorials on the web which go into that much detail when it comes to character rigging...but there is a book which I highly recommend...

Its called Inspired 3D Character Setup

It has all u need to complete a character setup much like, if not better than, that one pictured. I have the book and it has been excellent reading and learning material user added image

As an aside, make sure ur comfortable with a basic setup before u go into such details. It will make ur life easier user added image

Last edited by alexgc; 18-04-2003 at 05:27 PM.
# 3 18-04-2003 , 05:13 PM
Subscriber
that looks like a relatively simple rig actualy, though those curves are the only thing i dnt understand the use of

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 4 18-04-2003 , 06:57 PM
The curves are used as animation controls. In the spine area, for instance, instead of animating 3 or 4 joints individually, you can manipulate 1 or 2 controls to make the whole spine twist and bend.

As for references and tutorials, I want to second alexgc's recommendation of Inspired 3D Character Setup. It's is a great book and definitely worth the money. If you're relatively new to rigging, then you'll probably need to go through the first half or two-thirds of the book a few times before you understand what's going on. The latter part of the book, which goes into the advanced rig, can get very confusing. Lots of patience is required for this book (as with anything else in Maya).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 18-04-2003 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber

# 6 19-04-2003 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
wow those curves are a clever way of doing spine controls, i just used to have twist and that in the handle of the root joint, and for the bending of the spine id just use those clusters, but yeah, very nice user added image looks like one of my rigs user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 7 20-04-2003 , 02:11 AM
SM Alumni
If your feeling rich check out jason schleiflers 2 DVD's over at the A|W online store... incredible content which goes beyond anything I've seen in print/online (though havnt yet checked out Alex's recomendation).