Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-02-2007 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber

i'm sick of talking animal CGI Cartoons

as the title explains i'm tired of seeing the dry unoriginal 3d cartoons, i'm 22 and they had talking animal cartoon back when i was a kid, and another thing if there not doing the animal thing then there doing the backwards fairy tale e.g hood winked, shrek,
there are alot o talented people that can produce things alot better but dont have the funding to do it,

what the industry needs is new blood to shake things up, to make new inovations as far as 3d cartoons are concerned

p.s i know someones going to say "so dont watch them" which i dont. the thing that gets me mad is the fact that there making all this money off recycled ideas.

please no more talking dogs,cats,mice ect

# 2 11-02-2007 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
I agree mate. I really liked Ice Age and maybe Toy Story for the newness of it all, but the most impressive CG film i've seen so far just due to the sheer complexity / hyper real style they gave it, was Final Fantasy: Advent Children. It's a shame there aren't more styles out there.

# 3 11-02-2007 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber

Re: i'm sick of talking animal CGI Cartoons

Originally posted by jali
as the title explains i'm tired of seeing the dry unoriginal 3d cartoons, i'm 22 and they had talking animal cartoon back when i was a kid, and another thing if there not doing the animal thing then there doing the backwards fairy tale e.g hood winked, shrek,
there are alot o talented people that can produce things alot better but dont have the funding to do it,

what the industry needs is new blood to shake things up, to make new inovations as far as 3d cartoons are concerned

p.s i know someones going to say "so dont watch them" which i dont. the thing that gets me mad is the fact that there making all this money off recycled ideas.

please no more talking dogs,cats,mice ect

its not talking animals i think thats getting monotonous,
its the plots, writers, producers are using the same formulas over and over to make a box office hit. and if its working for them, believe me they are not going to break away from it. i like cute fuzzy cartoony characters, as long as they have "character".
all they have to do is keep the stories original and funny. and making "realistic" cg movie has not proven guaranteed hits as cutesy-pixie dust-fairy-tale genre we're getting so sick of now. look at polar express, looks at final fantasy [SW] even advent children didnt do so well despite a cult following.
if i want to see a realistic movie, ill just watch a regular non-cgi cartoony movie.
i just wish there were more adult-humor movies coming out, or more good'ol 2d movies like way back when...

---
if you look closely at the onslaught of cgi kids movie from the past 4 yrs, you will see a trend in the character designs and plots. this is what im really sick of.

# 4 12-02-2007 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
i have had enouff aswell (well I`ll let TMNT off untill I see it).

i mean how many bloody "Pengin"/"under the water" or "fariytail" tails do we need. I`m the frist to say I`m a PIXAR fan but they do things right. Dreamworks and the others are just in it for the money.

"Advent children" rocked and I loved the look "Appleseed" and I one of the few fans of "The Spirts within". I strongly beleve that asia will be the only place we will see any good cg for awhile.

Just look at some of the show reels/ shorts you find online - they are wonderful - then dreamworks bags the animators and makes them animated another bloody sherk.

the only animation state side I`m looking forward too is "Rockfish" which is based on Blur studios short (go to there site to watch it, its cool).

At work part of our sales pitch to investors is the fact we are making a animation that happened in history without the use of bloody bunnys, fish or any other talking animal.

Sorry animals that talk "grind my gears"
(sez the guy doing a grimlock model)

Last edited by tweetytunes; 12-02-2007 at 01:07 AM.
# 5 12-02-2007 , 03:30 AM
At least Free Jimmy is a different take on things. I'm looking forward to the english version.

# 6 12-02-2007 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber
I don't know..I kinda like scrat..
the squirrl form Ice Age
other then that, yea i agree.
Though the Two FF movies rocked,
I woudl love to see a 3d movie based off like, The dark tower series, or Dune, or something, somethgin that is Realistic enough, but as well, based far enough in scifi or horror, that The Cg woudl make it worth it to do it CG, and not live action.. Thats a big catch for me though... ITs gotta be worth doing in CG.. I mean, Whats the use in doing something like Miami Vice in CG?.. waste of time and money.. if that makes any sense to you guys atleast..
Thats my 2 cents
G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 7 12-02-2007 , 08:27 AM
I don't think that the CGI cartoons we have been seing over the past ten or so years are actually good for CGI at all. It doesn't promote our form of art, it simply gives the impression that the technology we use is only good enough to create simple movies for the most easily satisfied audience: children.

These movies tarnish the capability of our technology and software as well as the skill of the artists working on them who are obviously capable of incredible things as well as encouraging the sterotype that CGI movies are only for kids, so any movie that has a better plot and anything deeper is a strict no go zone (just like video kids), thus restricting 99.9% of the potential of CGI. An example of this would be Final Fantasy. All the parent's magazines were going crazy with 'CGI goes demonic' and 'don't take your kids to see the latest corrupting movie' and all sorts of ridiculous acusations.

But then, on the other hand, there are some good talking animal moves like Ice Age and Shriek and a few others, but 90% of the stuff you see these days are more stupid than the previous generation of goofy talking pigeons and so on.

I'm really interested in the work of the European animators. From what I've seen in 3D World, they have wonderful modelling, shading and plots. And the way they work with light is incredible, a giant leap ahead of the generic talking animal movies.

# 8 12-02-2007 , 08:55 AM
Yeah I agree with the amount of them, as Vlad said, if theres and audience for it then they will keep bringing them out.

As there mainly based for childern the plot dosent really matter as long as it follows some basic childrens tale with a moral in it, thats enough for kids and the cutsey talking animals, well thats what kids are into. Again as vlad said they are all based on the same thing.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 13-02-2007 , 03:30 AM
19 year Veteran
I have been in the theater bizz for over 12 years, and the problem with CGI animated features that I have noticed that come to theaters is not just plot related. There are some stories that I really like. It's just that all the characters Walk, talk, move and speak like traditional cell painted animation. Even the designs look much like the cell animation, and the sets look cartoonish also. CG features have gotten so cheap to make now days ( 'hood winked' and 'happily never after' for example ) and the target audience is more for kids than adults, and surveys show that talking animals bring alot more profit to studios than CG humans do, and studios know families will spend a bucket load of cash on their kids just for a couple of hours worth of animal talking entertainment, and then go out and buy all the toys.

I highly doubt you will see a dropoff in this trend anytime soon.

BTW, Dreamworks is not distributing SHREK 3. It looks like they gave it to Paramount. My theater got in a few new trailers for it, and they just say Paramount on them. Could it be that Dreamworks is drying up? And right now, the only other thing showing right know thats a Dreamworks production is Dreamgirls and Norbit, and My trailer rack for Dreamworks only has Transformers on it right know.

I did a check over at Apple trailers and I didn't see much from Dreamworks for this year, or last year.

# 10 13-02-2007 , 05:14 AM
THX1138 > 'I have been in the theater bizz for over 12 years, and the problem with CGI animated features that I have noticed that come to theaters is not just plot related. There are some stories that I really like. It's just that all the characters Walk, talk, move and speak like traditional cell painted animation. Even the designs look much like the cell animation, and the sets look cartoonish also. CG features have gotten so cheap to make now days ( 'hood winked' and 'happily never after' for example ) and the target audience is more for kids than adults, and surveys show that talking animals bring alot more profit to studios than CG humans do, and studios know families will spend a bucket load of cash on their kids just for a couple of hours worth of animal talking entertainment, and then go out and buy all the toys.'

Hmm, I wonder if its possible to teach kids to expect more from a movie???

Yeah, I agree with what your saying and I think thats its kinda stupid that whoevers in charge thinks that CGI should only be animated in the goofy styled animation that they use. I mean, I suppose they think thats what their audience likes but really, if you never show them anything different, how do you know they actually like it? You never know, they might like something else as well or even more than the cheap movies with cows and barns.

As for the toy maketing and all that, didn't movies such as Terminator, Jurassic Park and Star Wars make a bit by making toys and stuff? They arn't exactly movies made for kids (well, mayby except for Episode I, but we'll pretend it was never made) and they have much better CGI then any of these animal movies we see today (make me choose between a T-Rex made on SGIs and a penguin and I'll go for the dinosuar).

# 11 13-02-2007 , 06:32 AM
19 year Veteran

Yeah, I agree with what your saying and I think thats its kinda stupid that whoevers in charge thinks that CGI should only be animated in the goofy styled animation that they use. I mean, I suppose they think thats what their audience likes but really, if you never show them anything different, how do you know they actually like it? You never know, they might like something else as well or even more than the cheap movies with cows and barns.

Well, you have to consider the demograpghics in this case. Who is more willing acccept something thats not firmly grounded in reality as opposed to reality. The answer is kids. Kids will more or less accept anything that jumps, spins, walks, talks, and moves in a humorus fashion. Adults however are more critical of these points. Adults more or less accept themes that are better grounded in reality, as in the case of Jurrasic Park, or Terminator for example where the themes are more of an adult nature that portray a more believeable setting as opposed to a less believable setting.

The movies that blend both demographics together are more out to bring in audiences of all ages, and are usually alot more sucessful and bring alot more profit to the studios but are alot more coslty$$ to make. Those movies have to have good storys and effects in order to make back a good profit. The SHREK franchise is a fine example. Pixar uses this formula aswell, and they do extremely well at the box office every time they open a movie, and they are extremely proud of their product.

Your general run of the mill CG movie for kids are alot cheaper to make and make the money back quick. I see alot of families spend alot of money on these cheap CG flicks, and the most intresting thing I see from these movies are a few empty beer bottles at the end of the show, and I'm pretty shure the beer industry makes good money every time a crap CG flick opens in theaters.

I cant say much about the toy industry, they cater to alot of adults now days aswell. There are a few studios that market toys from very violent horror movies in various stores, and they make alot of money from them.

# 12 13-02-2007 , 06:50 AM
I dont think that you compare a full CG film with something like Jurassic Park, its a different kettle of fish completley, as THX said

As for the toy marketing, i'm sure its more viable to make soft toy penguins and fish from a movie designed for kids, hell theres enough out there without having to attach it to a film and they seem to sell.

As for other movie merchandise (like in the case of the terminator movies etc) it has to cater to the audience and some of these are almost cult (looks at the tortured soules series inspired by Spawn) which is why they are marketed.

On this front i'm waiting for the "New" Transformers to come out and have a re run of when I was a kid as its a new generation to sell them to.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 14-02-2007 , 02:15 AM
THX > "The movies that blend both demographics together are more out to bring in audiences of all ages, and are usually alot more sucessful and bring alot more profit to the studios but are alot more coslty$$ to make."

Yeah, I agree that movies that appeal to everyone makes more money, but then as you said, those movies need more money and skill from the writer to make.

THX > "... the most intresting thing I see from these movies are a few empty beer bottles at the end of the show, and I'm pretty shure the beer industry makes good money every time a crap CG flick opens in theaters."

If I had to watch one of those movies, I'll need something stronger than beer user added image

gster123 > "....I cant say much about the toy industry, they cater to alot of adults now days aswell. There are a few studios that market toys from very violent horror movies in various stores, and they make alot of money from them."

I forgot about that. My friend's brother spent a bit getting a replica of a lightsaber if you can consider that as a toy.

# 14 14-02-2007 , 02:32 AM
19 year Veteran

gster123 > "....I cant say much about the toy industry, they cater to alot of adults now days aswell. There are a few studios that market toys from very violent horror movies in various stores, and they make alot of money from them."

Hey, thats my quote!! :rant: ....:p

Anyway, all joking aside- If your friends brother plays with that lightsabre replica, then it's a toy.user added image