Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-04-2007 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber

Render issues

Hi,

I'm new the the forum and relatively new to Maya. I started using Maya about 3 months ago (I'm using version 8.5). I'm close to completing my first model and tried to do a test render, and the render came out distorted. I tried rendering with both the Maya software and Mental Ray. I'm not sure if its a computer issue or a maya issue. I've tried rendering on another machine and it seems to be fine, so I'm concerned that there's an issue with my machine. Below is an image of my model in the perspective window and then there is an image rendered with Maya software and Mental Ray. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 2 30-04-2007 , 03:58 AM
Jr.Who
Can you be more specific on the problem? user added image

# 3 30-04-2007 , 04:08 AM
Looks like you might want to up the anti alliasing setting's in the render globals. try going for a "production quality" setting and giving that a bash to see how it goes.

P.S - Try to keep your image sizes to 640 X 480 as thats the max allowed on the site.

cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 30-04-2007 , 04:16 AM
Subscriber
So when I click the render button, the model renders but its not coming out as smooth as I expected it to be. Its distorted. I noted some areas that are distorted in the image below. Do you need more specifics? What exactly do you need to know? Thanks!

user added image

# 5 30-04-2007 , 04:17 AM
Subscriber
Sorry about the monster images. I will edit them down in the future. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them when I get home today.

# 6 30-04-2007 , 04:21 AM
Jr.Who
Oh, the alias problems! Just zoom out a little bit and they should be gone, if you have your anti-alias settings all the way up.
user added image

# 7 30-04-2007 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber
I have a ATI Mobiiity Radeon x1800 and I have that problem in Maya 8.5. If you zoom in just alittle it will go away. It is my card, not sure about you, that causes that.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 8 30-04-2007 , 04:17 PM
One of the PC's Ive got at uni has a radion X1300 and it has some really strange issues with maya, for example if i select an object then move it I get 4 desktop's on screen, let go of the mouse and it goes back to maya! If I leave it for a bit, say 5 min's (to warm up LOL!!) it sorts it's self out.

Bloody strange!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 30-04-2007 , 10:57 PM
Subscriber
Hmmm....then it could def be my graphics card. I purchased a ATI Radeon a few months ago for something else. Not sure if it was the 1300 or 1800. That would really suck if that was the issue. I would hate to spend more money on another card. I'll try zooming out a little. Thanks again for your help. Oh and where do I change the setting so that is renders "production quality"? I couldn't find it.

# 10 30-04-2007 , 11:27 PM
Jr.Who
Go to your render globals, then to the Maya software tab, and you should find the anti-alias settings.

# 11 01-05-2007 , 07:06 AM
endrezults > 'Hmmm....then it could def be my graphics card.'

Render quality has nothing to do with not your graphics card unless its hardware rendering. Anyways, as people have been saying your robot model render higher anti aliasing settings.

# 12 01-05-2007 , 07:11 PM
Subscriber
ok, so i raised the anti alias setting and set the render to production quality and I'm still getting the same distortion. Could there be something else causing this? Oh, and my graphics card is an ATI Visiontek Radeon X1300 with 256MB.

# 13 01-05-2007 , 07:13 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by endrezults
ok, so i raised the anti alias setting and set the render to production quality and I'm still getting the same distortion. Could there be something else causing this? Oh, and my graphics card is an ATI Visiontek Radeon X1300 with 256MB.

Did you zoom out?

# 14 01-05-2007 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
As I have said. I have the same problem with my Radeon Mobility X1800 and it is the video card. Zoom out alittle. And that distortion does not show up if you save image.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 15 01-05-2007 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber
When you say zoom out do you mean in the perspective window? Cause I have tried that and nothing changes. Sorry if this is a stupid question. LIke I said I'm relatively new to Maya and this is my first render.

Thanks again for your help.