Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 15-12-2003 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber

2nd sword model.

decided to put this here. This is a lot better then my first. :o

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Tork; 15-12-2003 at 05:25 AM.
# 2 15-12-2003 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
Looks like a good sword.. but I don't see what ever you have in the other part of the pic, I refuse to scrole. LOL

# 3 15-12-2003 , 03:15 AM
Looks very nice. But if its a WIP it should be in a smaller resolution as the directions at the head of the page say.

Although it looks like a finished work. My only C&C is possibly make the hilt a little smaller, and the handle a little larger, and the butt of the handle seems to be very large.

Maybe a little texture tweaking to make the sword shine a little more.

# 4 15-12-2003 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by twisteddragon33
the butt of the handle

LOL!!!! I think you mean pommel. user added image

A thing to remember when posting pictures on the net is to not waste space user added image . Bandwidth matters to those of us bound by 56k, so large empty chunks of black should be chopped off in photoshop. And then you get those few people like pony who just hate to scroll sideways becuse they haven't got a sideways scroll-wheel on their mouse. The max size allowed for the WIP forum is 640x480 I believe.

Ages ago someone here posted an image that was about 2000x2000 with tons of waste black.... you should have seen the reactions!!

Anyway, all that aside, nice sword so far. I don't think you should resise the pommel - it looks fine to me I'd recommend that you smooth the hilt a little to get rid of the unrealistically sharp edges. I remember my first sword... I think I made it a little too extravagent! I'll post it if you'd like to see.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 5 15-12-2003 , 05:51 AM
ide like to see yoru sword.

And i could not for the life of me remember what it was called. thanks for the correction.

Most of my images if not 640X480 are at least to the size where you dont have to scroll sideways.

I just hate scrolling aswell. but will if need to.

# 6 15-12-2003 , 07:10 AM
Subscriber
ok here's my... ahem.... rather "bat-like" sword. The blade part looks very much like tork's. I probably should go back and put a proper reflection map on it.

I would have just given a link to where it was originally posted in the forum, but becuse it was older than 6 months it's just been deleted by David.

Oh dear!! It looks like we need to scroll a little bit for this one! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP

Last edited by -<{ JB }>-; 15-12-2003 at 07:13 AM.
# 7 15-12-2003 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber
tight blade you got there user added image

# 8 15-12-2003 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
BOth of the posted swords are modeled quite nicely. The matrials could definately use some tweaking though... BTW, what resolution are you guys running that you need to scroll over for such small images??

# 9 15-12-2003 , 08:29 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Nailed
what resolution are you guys running that you need to scroll over for such small images??

plenty big enough (1280x960) but I usually don't run IE fullscreen.

# 10 15-12-2003 , 01:15 PM
Well. the original image was posted big enough that on 1024x768 i had to scroll a good deal. But he has hence edited in a smaller image.

The other one.. may have been edited. Bt i find both swords very nice. I like the hilt design in your sword JB, along with the handle. I agree on the textures though, could use some work.

My next project is going to be a sword, but i planned on making a samarai sword or taki, or something Japan samarai or ninja style.

# 11 16-12-2003 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
couple of changes. any suggestions??

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 16-12-2003 , 11:29 AM
Subscriber
That looks cool to me.. but the handle looks a little uncomfortable.

# 13 16-12-2003 , 06:01 PM
Kill the reflectiveness over the entire thing. Contrary to popular belief, there was no chrome plating in the days of the sword. They were polished steel.

Add some dirt to it and a wrap for the handle. The hand guard is a little too broad.

Good start!

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 14 17-12-2003 , 05:02 AM
Subscriber
A blade does not reflect like a mirror. Here are some photos for you to have a look at.

user added image

and this much older sword (which I believe is supposed to be William Wallace's)... user added image

# 15 17-12-2003 , 11:16 AM
One of my swords reflects like a mirroruser added image.. could be because its a mirrored blade.... i have another thats clear(made of glass), obviously both are just docoration.

I like the improvements but the edges on the hilt seem really hard. Maybe a small bevel could help out. And too wide aswell.