Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-03-2004 , 05:55 PM
Subscriber

EZ-D DVD --- An environmental nightmare?

This may (or may not) be old news to many, but I recently came across the EZ-D DVD. To save you reading through the FAQ, this innovation is basically a DVD that erases itself after 48 hours. "What use?" you may wonder. Well, the DVD rental market is looking seriously at it.

Now, I'm not some tree hugging environmentalist but the thought of all of those millions of DVD rentals turning into becoming millions disposable DVD purchases scares the bejeezes out of me.

Now, the company that makes them says that they can be "conveniently recycled" by mailing the DVD back to some company somewhere. Which is fine if you dont mind going to the post office, buying stamps and an envelope just so that you can mail your trash somewhere. I dont think there'll be a big takeup somehow.

I personally think that they should include a little pre-paid envelope so that people will have no excuse for not sending them.

OK, that's my rant over.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 2 02-03-2004 , 06:36 PM
Kevin
rant away mate, Im on your side

# 3 02-03-2004 , 07:14 PM
Simply Maya OG
They expect you to buy the DVD, watch it, only for 48 hours, and spend MORE money, JUST to mail it to the trash? The things people/companys will do for money now-a-days.

- Hybrid
# 4 02-03-2004 , 07:16 PM
it would be so much more logical making a 1€(or whatever) free on your next rental if you return your self-degradable DVD to our store...

uh... 48 hrs after fabrication or after frist reading?

but then again... what the use of that?user added image

# 5 02-03-2004 , 08:40 PM
user title spammer
buying digital content ?

user added image

# 6 02-03-2004 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by dragonfx
uh... 48 hrs after fabrication or after frist reading?

Apparently it works by oxidation (ie. exposure to air) so the DVD arrives in an airtight packet. Once it's open you can watch it as many times as you like for 48 hours.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...