Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-10-2005 , 07:38 PM

THUNDERTANK

Hello All, I'm new here but have just been through all the free tutorials and I must say thank you very much, they have really helped. I would love to buy some more but am soon to be going away travelling for a few months and cash is a little thin on the ground at the moment.

I have also just completed Maya Basics: Foundation over the last couple of months and this is all the experience I have so forgive any horrific newbie mistakes I may make!

Anyway, this thread is about the first project of my own, it may have been done before but I really wanted to create the Thundertank from the masterfull cartoon series I grew up with (but never had the toy, damn you Mum!)

I have to say a big thank you to the animators that originally came up with the concept of the Thundertank and take no credit for original design.

Below is the first part of my model, the arm. I have been trying to get all the dimensions down on paper over the last few days and am just doing a bit of modelling at a time in the evenings.

Please let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-10-2005 , 07:47 PM

Part 2: The underarm!

I have a little difficulty tracking down decent source material for the tank, and get confused whether to follow the toy or the cartoon as they are not quite the same.

But anyway, I chose a method of having the gun and front wheel under the arm, a bit of a cross between toy and cartoon.

You may notice there is no wheel on there as of yet, I'm not sure how to do it as I would like to have it as a seperate entity but constrained to the underarm, just a simple point constrain?

I added a couple of quick simple Lamberts to distinguish between parts.

Please let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 07-10-2005 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
I think the red swinging arm should look a lot beafier as it seams to weak at the moment.

I never got the tank either, only the figures. user added image

# 4 07-10-2005 , 08:27 PM

Beefing

Ok, I have tried to beef up the underarm a bit. You were right that it didn't look strong enough.

There is also a simple Nurbs tyre in there.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 07-10-2005 , 08:35 PM

Stupid me!

Well, apparently I cannot make any more changes to the red underarm bit because I have accidentally saved it with all the seperate component polygon shapes combined!

I'm guessing there is no way to ever undo that is there? I mean, with no more 'undos' because of saving.

DOH!!!

# 6 07-10-2005 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
Is this the thundertank as in the "thunder cats"? If it is, brilliant choice...always thought cheetahra was was a pretty babe. You do know you are showing your age to us brits? user added image

Looking forward to this

# 7 08-10-2005 , 12:32 PM

Thundercats

It certianly is the Thundertank from the Thundercats.

See reference image from cartoon and from toy below.

Last edited by benpackwood; 08-10-2005 at 12:36 PM.
# 8 08-10-2005 , 12:40 PM

Pics

The Thundertank

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 08-10-2005 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber
Cool pics....glory days. Will keep an eye on your progress user added image

# 10 08-10-2005 , 03:13 PM

Main body

I have begun to try and shape the main body now, there is only a very basic cube for the back end but the lower jaw is coming along.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 08-10-2005 , 03:15 PM

Underbelly

I have done a little detailing on the underneath of the tank. Again, little reference material has made this bit difficult so I have just thrown together a few shapes that look somewhat mechanical. Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 08-10-2005 , 03:32 PM
SNAAARF SNYYAAAARF SNARF!!

THUNDERCATS, HO!

Looking good, buddy!

# 13 08-10-2005 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
Detailing looks fine..

# 14 08-10-2005 , 04:34 PM

Detailing methods

I have just started work on the main body of the tank. There are detailed lines/grooves drawn on the tank in the cartoon and I have been wondering how best to do these. Should I model them or should i use a bump map when it comes to texturing.

So far I have been using extrude face and then scaling them in to create grooves along every edge to create the pattern I want. This of course leaves faces behind the outside ones, no doubt giving me a really high poly count! Might I find this a problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 08-10-2005 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
whether you model the detail or use maps is a choice, your choice in this case. If this is a personal project, you could go with what you would not usually do, if only to have the experience to learn from..there is no right or wrong.

Go with the flow mate....just learn user added image