Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-01-2010 , 03:08 AM

Is misss_fast_skin a separate shader from Blinn/Phong/Lambert?

Hi guys

I have a simple sphere mesh in Maya 2008. In my Hypershade, I create a Lambert and a misss_fast_skin shaders. I first MMB drag the Lambert to the sphere object and render and get the results. I then MMB drag misss_fast_skin to my sphere and render and get a different rendering. Does this mean the misss_fast_skin replaces my previous Lambert shader?

Also I want to create some surface textures using misss_fast_skin using Maya's Fractal. Do I click the button to the right of Bump Value and then select Fractal from the Hypershade material choices that come up? What about the other attribute Bump Depth ? What does it do ?

Thxs a million!

# 2 20-01-2010 , 04:43 AM
yes the sss replaces the lambert

and yes you click the box to the right of the bump the bump depth determines how much the bump will jump out you can also use negative number (eg -1) to create a the opposite effect with a fractal you would have this set to about .4 roughly hope this helps

# 3 20-01-2010 , 07:04 AM

Thanks

Ah great, thanks anasasis. Since then, I've been reading a lot of 'Net tuts on the matter and I think I need to really experiment with misss_fast_skin using the Connection Editor and lights.

# 4 20-01-2010 , 03:14 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 21-01-2010 , 02:26 AM

Thanks

Great, I should have tried it last note but I haven't. I'll try it tonite. So I just click on the Texture button on the immediate right of Bump Value and then out pops the Hypershade material window and I can choose Fractal for the bump map (I'm creating skin texture for a head which uses misss_fast_skin). I had tried it on Lambert which is assigned to my head and it works just fine but the SSS is not there and the skin looks like plastic or wax.

Funny though, yesterday nite when I rendered my head with misss_fast_skin, there were weird small red dots like when the lighting intensity was set too high. I checked lighting but it was ok.

Just wished that that 'famous' dragon tutorial on SSS had provided the sample Maya binary file which I could then download and experiment to see how the author used misss_fast_skin.

# 6 21-01-2010 , 06:21 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 22-01-2010 , 04:14 AM

Thank NextDesign

Thanks NextDesign. I'll read the tut. Hope I can get a great photorealistic head close-up! Got this weekend to play around with misssy !

Pending things for my hobby "space fiction" movie are :-

1. Close up 2 head shots of 2 heads talking like in a conversation. Goals: good photorealism, realistic animation

2. Far shot of human so as to show full body - realistic and proper proportions - say a lady coming out of a transporter helicopter. Starts with close up of her high heels and then camera dollies out to show full body and the helicopter rotor blades kick out dust from the ground (wow!)

3. A space scene - camera panning slowly, a space battle ?

4. Local scene on an alien planet - snow blizzard

5. Cook up realistic explosions to be used in various parts in the movie

I'm cooking up the movie in Movie Maker (can u believe it) and the audios are from freesound. Haven't dubbed in any voices yet.

I'm batch rendering using individual jpg frames so I can touch up. They import beautifully as individual frames in Movie Maker.

Will tell you how it goes! :-)