Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-01-2003 , 07:46 PM

Attach? Stitch? Sculpt? How do you join arms and legs to a body seamlessly???

Okay, so I'm modeling in Nurbs, I've got a simple sphere for the body, and a simple cone for the arm. See attached image below.

I bring the arm close to the position on the body>pick the arm isoparm>project curve on surface>trim tool-detach holes for arms>????

So now what? I've got an isoparm at the edge of the arm, and a trimmed edge on the body. I've tried attach, stitching, and sculpting. Maybe I haven't chosen the correct settings, but I get nothing.

Is there any way to join these two together in a flexible blend suitable for animating the arm?

Is this the way to join arms and legs using Nurbs, or is there a better method?

Help!! The only thing I've been able to attach lately is this image user added image

# 2 16-01-2003 , 08:35 PM

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 16-01-2003 , 10:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
they're in the hi-lvl section, actually. user added image

EDIT: Ah, yes, I have some Attaching NURBS tutorials in my Newbie section. I have tutorials going over specificly attaching arms and legs in my Hi-Lvl section. user added image

BTW, don't let those labels fool you. Don't think that newbies can't learn anything from the mid or hi lvl sections. Those sections are just going over a bit more advanced material is all. You should be able to understand any of them with a little practice with Maya's basics. user added image

# 4 17-01-2003 , 06:04 AM
Okay, I've searched through various sites, and I've found an incredible amount of people having this very same problem, with no apparent solution. So I've come up with my own brilliant solution......FORGET IT, IT'S TOO MUCH TROUBLE!!!

I chose NURBS because I like the way it models, but guess what?? You can model in NURBS, and then convert to polygons, (or SubDivisions) and then attach parts soooo much easier! (I'll bet everyone knows this - forgive me I'm such at newbie at this modeling stuff)

Here's that same model I posted above, converted to polygons, then combined and merged the edges. It was quite easy. I even added some bones and twisted things around-looked great!

Thanks for everyones help. If anyone has anything else to say about all this, ( such as - Is there any major disadvantage to converting geometry from one type to another?) Go ahead !
user added image user added image user added image

# 5 17-01-2003 , 06:38 AM
The Maya Mountain
I think your main problem before was using a trimmed surface.

Yep, polys work too. user added image

# 6 17-01-2003 , 03:55 PM
Yeah, sorry for the mistake there mikeuser added image my baduser added image

I directed him to your tut section because I noticed that he was using what appeared to be a trim, so I thought, "Hey! Mike helped me out of a jam with this very same thing before so...."

hehe...

Anyhoo...

Glad you found a workaround VonDrake!

I would reccomend, however, that you REALLY consider studying Mike's Nurbs tuts!

They will teach you SO much, and help you out of jams like this in the futureuser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 17-01-2003 , 06:21 PM
The Maya Mountain