Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 05-11-2008 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber
*grumble*

it looked so cool like that though

oh well...
after a bit of trial and error and after four tries i got something... i should have paid a little more attention to what merik was doing in his taj mahal thread....

it doesn't quite follow the whole quad thing, but i don't think trying to model a pyramid made of triangles is feasible with quads.... the only way i'll agree that i'm wrong is if someone shows me :p

anyway, uploading a hybrid picture of wireframe and render

now to fit it into the frame....

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 06-11-2008 , 06:50 AM
Subscriber
thought i would try a few baking experiements

i baked a normal, displacement, and AO with the transfer maps

below are the results of the normal and displacement maps

top left is normal mapping of the front of the panel (original geometery on the left)

top right is normal mapping of the back of the panel (original geometry on the right, i had to touch it up in photoshop because it didn't bake too well on the back)

bottom left is the displacement map of the front of the panel (original geometry on the left, baked with 8x8 sampling at a 2k map and it still looks bad)

bottom right is the displacement map of the back of the panel (original geometry on the right, same baking conditions as above)

i was kinda happy with normal mapping but it doesn't give the same depth loop around the edges... probably because the inside of the frame is actually straight and not sloped

question: where do i plug the AO baking into the material?

Attached Thumbnails

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX

Last edited by Chirone; 06-11-2008 at 06:53 AM.
# 18 07-11-2008 , 05:47 AM
Subscriber
another question...

how come the normal mapped image is lighted opposite of the real object?
the bottom half of the diamonds are dark in the normal mapped object but in the real one its the top of the diamond that is dark... they are both lit by the same directional light....

# 19 07-11-2008 , 06:02 PM
Subscriber
test
user added image

user added image

user added image

# 20 07-11-2008 , 09:26 PM
hmmm iv noticed that you have alot of unneeded edge loops and divisions in your model. I think you might want to clean that up before you go any further. I also see that you have used the bevel tool on some edges and some you haven't. thats good that you bevel the edges but if you don't do it to all the ones that you haven't really stick out. looks like your on the right path though nice model.

Just make it work

www.createdestroy.net/kcin
# 21 08-11-2008 , 12:56 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the crit,

i see edge loops which aren't really needed (the non-functional ones on the flat surfaces that were just there to guide the texturing process)
but i suppose i should actually get rid of them....

after doing the front attachment i think i know a cleaner way of doing the gun's main body... i think....

# 22 09-11-2008 , 02:05 AM
Subscriber
remade

attached is the low res mesh, high res will look exactly the same but the edges will look thicker again due to the many edges surrounding it for when it is smoothed

and.. yay for 1000 posts :attn:

and i just realised i had the mesh selected when i took a screen shot of it.........

Attached Thumbnails

# 23 09-11-2008 , 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Looking good Chirone, those wings things on the gun came out great. Gratz on the 1000th post lol :p.

- Genny
# 24 13-11-2008 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
test2

wire
user added image
the little cylindsers at the front a bit too high res... i dont know why i didn't cut it down.......
smooth
user added image

i spent a few hours laying out UVs...

just the shield thingy to go then i can start doing new stuff

# 25 17-11-2008 , 02:08 PM
Subscriber
test
took forever just to get this far and it's not anywhere as cool as the picture on the boxuser added image
...perhaps a specular map would help?

normal
+
colour
=
result

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 26 17-11-2008 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
nice progress so far, keep it up. looking forward seeing the end result

# 27 20-11-2008 , 04:35 AM
Subscriber
first image unsmoothed
second image smoothed

the UVs appear to shift a far bit in the smoothed version..........

the materials don't make any sense. i think it should be painted metal of some sort but not sure if i've reflected that and if i haven't i'm not sure how to reflect that

the actual plastic model itself is translucent... but i really don't think you'd find a translucent metal around so what i'm doing isn'tgoing to have any transparency to it...

i've noticed a crap load of mistakes in the model and the textures but i'm gonna move on to the particles...

user added image
user added image

# 28 22-11-2008 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber
ok, i said i'd start on the particles but i couldn't leave the textures alone... too unclean, although i'll fix the shield up later... maybe

anyway, cleaned up the textures so it's not so icky and wavy due to my bad painting skills... i can't even draw straight lines with my pen and ruler.........user added image

baked the colours using the mighty ultimapper... i mean transfer maps (ultimapper sounds so much cooler though)

has anyone used the transfer maps for displacements? as you see from the prior post of the wings it doesn't seem to work too well... and when i tried it on the jetpack (the giant thing at the front of the gun) it made all sorts of funny artifacts

user added image
colour correction on the wings

user added image
close up of the jetpack (his jetpack becomes the front of his giant gun)

user added image
close up of the back of the gun.

user added image
the mega awesome artifacts produced by the displacement.
i have to admit that i haven't used displacements before, so i assume the default settings for the transfer maps or the displacement node aren't good...

# 29 23-11-2008 , 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
Why is there even displacement on those parts? And you're not going to see the beauty in the mats until you add your environment, you could just use lamberts to see whats really up with the textures and avoid the viewport highlights :x

- Genny
# 30 23-11-2008 , 05:05 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
i've seen your doing alot of normal mapping are you trying to keep it low poly