Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-03-2015 , 04:22 AM

knee joint setup In A pose

knee joint setup.

-I read on maya wiki to bind in A pose. So my char leg is not align with world axis.
-I make a plane of rotation which is a triangle that have the vertex on hip>knee>ankle position of model.
-I extrude that plane along face normal.
-I use "HZrivet script" to make a locator on the face of that extrude plane.
-I snap joint chain on my locator then use "jammsoft joint orient script"(same as comet's with extend function) to orient joint to the same value as locator rotation value.

This way I can have the joint with proper orientation on A pose.

The question is....Is this way of doing stupid?
If it is actually stupid, Are there any faster method?

user added image

Sorry for the long question.

# 2 25-03-2015 , 07:22 AM
Hi Musetatron,

You can give a try to following steps:

1) Create straight hierarchy of leg joints
2) Position the hip joint according to your model use the perspective view.
3) Rotate hip joint in any axis to reposition knee and ankle according to the model
4) finalize the hip joint position.
5) For knee joint you can just rotate in ZAxis if your joint orientation is xyz with Positive Y as up-axis
6) Switch the translate mode to local and move knee joint in X-Axis to reposition it.
7) Repeat the same steps for ankle as knee was done.
8) You might have to move or rotate hip again and again based on your knee and ankle position but this way you will never lose the single plane rotation for IK's.
9) Keep looking from different viewports along with perspective.

Hope it might help you. I am sorry if you find difficult to understand this, as I have never posted before. But you can ask me if you have any querry regarding this solution.

Regards,
Vipul Jain

# 3 02-04-2015 , 04:20 PM
Thanks I try that and somehow I don't like to rotate thing to place. I guess It's just my preference.