Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-09-2003 , 11:12 PM
19 year Veteran

Sci-fi pic.

How do you see the moon?

Been working on this the whole day, and I think it turned out pretty decent. While it's not "Official Gallery Material" in my opinion. It does show that I put some effort into it. The bump and color map are from nasa photos. The star field is made from scratch via paint shop because I could not get the galaxial paint tubes in maya to work properly.

comments are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 18-09-2003 , 12:24 AM
OOooo pretty user added image

# 3 18-09-2003 , 09:12 PM
19 year Veteran
Thanks for the comment! I really didn't expect to get any comments on it. user added image

# 4 19-09-2003 , 02:32 AM
I really like it....although I'm probably biased since my hobby is astronomy. Have you seen the moon texture that comes with 3d Studio MAX? That's a really nice moon texture. You should look into trying that out

# 5 19-09-2003 , 06:41 AM
19 year Veteran
I haven't seen any of the textures that come with 3DSMax. I don't have the program. Heh, wish there was a web site that collected them.

Thanks for your comment on the texture. It's good to know that my work pleases the folks who are deeply in that subject. The hardest thing about the pic was finding the texture. Alot of the pics I found had noticeable seams that would have shown on the pic ( I didn't want to edit the pic in photo shop or paint shop ). It took me quite a while to find the right texture.

I thought about putting a satellite in the pic, but decided that would be very distracting. The next one I do ( most likely Jupiter ) will feature a satellite.

# 6 21-09-2003 , 05:56 AM
Hrmmm. the bump is a bit high for that distance.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 7 21-09-2003 , 06:59 AM
19 year Veteran
Yeah, the bump should be a little bit lower, I was going off another CGI pic for refference. I need to get my telescope out. Thanks for the comment!