Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-09-2006 , 11:00 PM
Subscriber

1970's 280z

back, wow its been a long time, ive been looking at the wips and finished forums almost daily but my life has been far too busy to get into any 3D as im done school and my job isnt requiring 3d.

but this is my comeback thread, doing what i do best, cars.

to prove to myself that i still have it and im still improving.

so its a bit of a slow start, but ive got the rough bits of the side of the car.

next is the hood, front bumper, rear bumper and taillights and windows.

i plan on doing some sort of interior, obviously wheels and tires, and little details that im known for.

here is how its going so far. spent about an hour on this so far.

i have a habbit of getting the entire car roughly made up and then sharpening all the edges and getting the model all cleaned up rather than finishing the front end and moving on.

user added image

user added image

First year 3D Grad

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 07-09-2006 at 11:02 PM.
# 2 08-09-2006 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
ill update this for tonite to show you what ive done, and so you can actually tell its a car im aiming for.

you should all have seen this car in real life at one time or another, its been around for 30+ years.

user added image
user added image

First year 3D Grad
# 3 08-09-2006 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
it look pretty good. i should try to model a car someday really soon. any advice????

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 4 08-09-2006 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by daffas
it look pretty good. i should try to model a car someday really soon. any advice????

-pick a car you really like
-if its your first car, maybe try to follow a tutorial
-plan ahead ie. set the model up so that its easy to later on sharpen the edges up and tweak it.
-clean wire is a happy wire

First year 3D Grad
# 5 08-09-2006 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
here is the update for tonite, i added a front bumper/lip and a bit of a headlight lens.

any suggestions/help?

user added image

First year 3D Grad
# 6 09-09-2006 , 10:12 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the advice. on your model where the wheel will go it looks like it is to far in. like it got dented. but other wise it looks really good.

# 7 09-09-2006 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
a small update for the day.
i wanted to do a test render rather than just screenshots and all i had time to do was fix the hood a bit, add an intercooler and do a small tweak here and there.

still lots of work needed to be done on the front end, ive decided to totally finish and complete the front end before i continue with the rest of the car.

user added image

the intercooler is too far forward, its going through the front lip, and the turn signal in the bumper isnt right at all yet.

First year 3D Grad
# 8 09-09-2006 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
im having a problem with an air duct on the lip of the front bumper.

i want it to be square, but as you can see in the render, when i covert to subd it goes round.

how can i make this stay really square?

user added image

First year 3D Grad
# 9 10-09-2006 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
i dont know anything about sub d yet, but i have a suggestion for another area. my suggestion is pull the grill out to give it some more depth. it doesnt fit the car yet.

# 10 10-09-2006 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Turbo Dan
im having a problem with an air duct on the lip of the front bumper.

i want it to be square, but as you can see in the render, when i covert to subd it goes round.

how can i make this stay really square?

You'll never get it perfectly square with subds but you can get pretty close by converting to subd, selecting the edges in the original mesh that you want squared off and using the crease tool. You can crease more than once to go sharper and sharper. I think three creases is as far as you can go. It does make your resulting geometry much denser however and this is part of the reason I've gone away from subds for tech modelling and just stick with polys and poly smooth (see my 66 vette posts - https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=22665).

HTH

MrR

# 11 10-09-2006 , 01:02 PM
Subscriber
If you select the edge and the edges around and apply a "Full Crease" you can achive a perfect sqaure:

user added image

# 12 10-09-2006 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Eldwick
If you select the edge and the edges around and apply a "Full Crease" you can achive a perfect sqaure:

I'm fairly sure this can lead to undesirable results when you have a geometry like Turbo Dan is working with. If you do a full crease in an otherwise uncreased area, you can end up with glitches in the smooth areas - at least that was my experience user added image

HTH

MrR

# 13 10-09-2006 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
im trying as hard as i can to not use creases as i switch from poly to sub d back and forth about a million times and the crease is lost in the conversion.

any way to make the poly geometry so that it will hold that square?

First year 3D Grad
# 14 10-09-2006 , 03:41 PM
Subscriber
how do i make it square with poly smooth, cause i do the poly smooth but it does the same thing as subd, makes it oval

First year 3D Grad
# 15 10-09-2006 , 03:57 PM
Subscriber
The edges you dont want to have rounded, have them have "hard" normals, and edges you do want to have rounded have "soft" normals then. Then when you smooth select "Keep Hard Edges"

Also, why go back and forth when you can just polygon proxy and see your results interactivly and keep creases.

Last edited by Eldwick; 10-09-2006 at 04:00 PM.