Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 106 11-06-2007 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber
i put in my last assessment for the year tomorrow, I'll be doing some maya and watching this street scene. Ive always dug exteriors and wondered if one could use it with real footage.., well, I mean.., how.., well I know how as such but you know what I mean. I'lkl be back onto the android too.

looks good mate
mirek user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 107 11-06-2007 , 10:38 PM
Subscriber
i just noticed the two examples of mapping I gave you are the same image?? so to correct that, imagine the image you have just posted with the spotlight with fog and the perfectly round circle of light.., then compare that to one of the images of mapping i showed you.., thats the difference.., anyway, caustics is important but only if you want it photoreal, or for some effect. What you have is nice .., im a bit annoyed I did al that and then posted two images the same.., very stupid of me user added image

# 108 12-06-2007 , 11:37 AM
Now here come the question how i can make enviorment like sky in the background or some buildings ... ? user added image

# 109 12-06-2007 , 10:32 PM
Im very new to Maya (only been doing it for maybe a week) but you could find a image of say clouds, buildings, etc. on google or something, put it on a plane, and use it as a backdrop. Im sure theres other suggestions that would probably look better though, thats just first thing that came to mind.

Awesome model so far man, looks incredible.

# 110 13-06-2007 , 01:40 AM
I texure the sprays user added image here are one pic with dark light ( what will be in my scean ) and here is one with some more light any comment of how i can get those texture better will be :bow:

Attached Thumbnails
# 111 13-06-2007 , 02:22 AM

Attached Thumbnails
# 112 13-06-2007 , 04:11 AM
for the cans of paint i would use bright colours, have a look at some in a shop, they usualy have lots of logo's and have different coloured lids.

# 113 15-06-2007 , 04:50 AM
Small updates

Attached Thumbnails
# 114 15-06-2007 , 08:12 AM
Subscriber
cans look fine yo me except they look 2D?? like you have them as files on a plane,, theres no Z depth to them.

environment..., many ways from making one piece by piece to what was suggested. could use a dome.,??

i did some very rough lighting stuff last night

using this very contrasting image (no tones)

Attached Images

# 115 15-06-2007 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
i made it in phoytshop, should really do the torch thing but anyway, imagine if it had greys and tones the spotlight image (mapped to colour) went from this

Attached Thumbnails

# 116 15-06-2007 , 08:15 AM
Subscriber
i keep harping about it because it looks so good when done correctly and its a professional touch too

to this

Attached Thumbnails

# 117 15-06-2007 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber
so, if that file had been of a torch beam with all the correct shades and tones you would get a very realistic effect.

environment?? you would have to wait about three days (all going well) to get any sort of qualified answer from me.., one of the other guys might help.

i disagree strongly that maya simulates light in any real way, it tries to copy the physics of it but doesn't do too well on reflected light, half shadow.., often you will need three point lighting on nearly every object to get a really good look, or to change a good scene into a brilliant scene.., and three point lighting on every object is not the behavior of 'real' light.., not even a good simulation. dont gt me wrong,, maya has a good try at it with all its photons and what not.., but you will need to understand what its limitations are.., for example.., your flat cans.., a result of the lighting.., they look as though they are floating off the ground too. you can also add depth be pulling light out with a - intensity, maya lights will pull light out if you use negative values.

Last edited by mirek03; 15-06-2007 at 08:30 AM.
# 118 15-06-2007 , 10:03 AM
If you want a half-realistic scene you can load an HDRI and render with Mental Ray. And then go from there.

# 119 15-06-2007 , 10:28 AM
Subscriber
this is coming along very nicely. KUTGW. Sorry I can't give any tips, I'm also gathering knowledge from the people helping you out.

# 120 16-06-2007 , 11:04 AM
Subscriber
your environment will depend on what you are doing with the scene.., don't over complicate it and end up needing a 40 min render.., if all you need is a static shot of the environment then use a backplate for any empty maya spaces between buildings and put a file texture of a building on it, kill the filter to make it sharp like your scene.

for the sky, import an image into the camera, check 'fixed' and 'look through camera' and move the image into place via your AE (attribute editor, select the image plane and move it via translations) ) that will do you. you will have to think about how to best display objects in your scene, that is a bigger thing than your environment at this stage (if its a static scene).

if you are doing an animated movie you would have a number of sets, not just one.., with each one detailing the part of the set seen through the camera at the time needed in the movie.., if you dont need to put in the sky because it will not be seen through the camera, dont put a sky in the scene.., stuff like that.., thank about it that way

user added image