Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-02-2003 , 04:18 PM

ok so im hopeless....(noob help)

ok, gonna keep this short, cause I by far am the biggest noob at maya.... probably ever...user added image yes Im sure you are all surprised, but I can swallow that fact with the knowledge that I aquired my maya, less than 24 hours ago, and the fact that I once I get my foot in the door I will take the industry by storm.... so you have the pleasure of knowing me when i know literally nothing.

Now my dad (yes "my dad" im in college not 12) is purchasing some books for me that are basic knowledge and beyond of the program, but Im not sure when I am going to get my hands on those, and I really want to be off and running when I get the books, so my question is a very simple one,

1) Does anyone know of good sites (besides this one:banana: , ahah I love that) that help with basic stuff, now I dont mean basic do stuff I mean, what tools do what, where I click to do what, like simple draw a polygon, then manipulate it, or well u know the Basic basics... I dont know how to put it clearer due to the fact that I am swimming in my ignorance here....?....

(pauses while laughter subsides.... no really guys... I told u Im hopeless, so any information, towards the common sense basics would be sooo GREAT user added image )

I would like to thank anyone who replys, ahead of time, and at the very least thank you for reading the thread.

Nate

# 2 02-02-2003 , 04:24 PM
Welcome to SM.

Here's my 2 cents:

Boot up the beast and hit F1. Aim your mouse to the word that says Instant Maya. That should get you going...

After that try the free vid tutorials here and after them hop in to the VIP area... user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 02-02-2003 , 04:26 PM
well that was fast , lol user added image cheers to you mate

# 4 02-02-2003 , 08:34 PM

# 5 02-02-2003 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber
i highly recommend the F1 button on your keyboard user added image the one with maya is actually helpful and teaches you unlike other programs' docs
we were all at the stage you're at at one point in time (i think im still there user added image) all it takes is time user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 6 03-02-2003 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
Welcome to SM user added image I've just almost passed that very first "holy crap where do I begin!" stage and now feel capable of making very simple things.

Basically I did what everyone else has mentioned so far, used F1 and did all the tutorials which are invaluble, I downloaded all the free tutorials here, and signed up for VIP and have got a couple of those ones too so far, and that was pretty much it. I think I might buy a book like you to take it a little further, but you'll find your sea legs in no time, once you know the real platform basics you'll be all set user added image

Oh and "Maya Tutorial" into www.google.com is a good thing to do user added image

# 7 03-02-2003 , 04:08 AM
ok guys thnx alot to everyone whos replied, Im making good progress I look foreward to posting stuff on my site (once the site up lol, thats my other current project) and letting u see my progress,
thanks alot to everyone who replied it should be more than enough to keep me busy and happy for a few days. looking forward to posting some more when I have something to post, the community is very helpfull to say the least

# 8 03-02-2003 , 09:44 AM
Subscriber

Today man, tomorrow bird...i already have the plumage
# 9 04-02-2003 , 07:41 AM
Welcome! Definatley F1! user added image
Again welcome to SM the best Maya site on the world wide web!
A good book to look into is a Visual Quikstart Guide by Danny Riddell and Andrew S. Britt the book is called "Maya" user added image Nice and shows you a lot! And it's only U.S. 21.99 Canada 32.95 UK 16.99

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions
A warrior is reborn when he has something to protect
# 10 04-02-2003 , 09:50 AM
Kevin
Please in future just direct users to the "tutorial links forum" instead of reposting links that have been posted before.

All duplicate links that are found via the search button will be removed.

Many thanks

# 11 04-02-2003 , 11:04 AM
Go to the video tutorials here on Simply Maya. They have some great videos for beginners mixed in there. Watch them to get a feel for the program. I recommend Simple Man Shape, Simple Dog Shape and Marking Menus (these are free to download too). Then dive in to F1 key and work through. The documentation bores me to sleep. The videos here are fun and quickly informative. The guys explain what keys they use and everything on the beginner video.