Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-09-2013 , 08:48 PM

Can't import a obj. file

I'm new with maya.

So the problem is that i export a obj. model and I save it, but when i'm going to load that file nothing apears, I don't know what i'm suposed to do if this happens.

Help please. user added image

# 2 21-09-2013 , 09:13 PM
Bored but busy
Import the file to open it

# 3 21-09-2013 , 09:21 PM

Import the file to open it

I import it, that's the problem. Whem I import it nothing apears.

# 4 21-09-2013 , 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
How are you setting up your export options? Have you checked the file size of the obj? Maybe nothing is being exported.

- Genny
# 5 21-09-2013 , 09:54 PM

How are you setting up your export options? Have you checked the file size of the obj? Maybe nothing is being exported.

Where can I see the export option and the size of the obj? Like I told you before... I'm pretty new with maya.

# 6 21-09-2013 , 10:08 PM

Its more likely nothing is being exported because I did the texture and then I took another taxture from internet and when i selected "export all" option it only import the texture from internet afterwards. I don't know what should I do with my texture so it could select it and export it.

Any suggestions?

# 7 22-09-2013 , 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
When you got to click on "export" there should be a small box to the right, this lets you access the options. Checking the size of the obj file has little to do with Maya, browse to the folder just like any other file on your operating system and check the file size. Is it possible for you to upload the scene?

- Genny
# 8 22-09-2013 , 05:35 PM

When you got to click on "export" there should be a small box to the right, this lets you access the options. Checking the size of the obj file has little to do with Maya, browse to the folder just like any other file on your operating system and check the file size. Is it possible for you to upload the scene?

https://www.mediafire.com/?svs5rro0qib9k73
There you can download the scene. (Its part of a hat for a game though)

The face model I took it from internet and its a obj. file. The face model works perfectly but my model just doesn't import to an obj. file. Even if I use the "export all" option it will only export the face model for some reason. What should I do?

user added image

I checked the options too and there's nothing that can help me with this problem.

My export options:

File type: OBJExport
Default file extension: checked
Preserve references: checked
Export unloaded references: unchecked

Groups: On
Point groups: On
Materials: On
Smoothing: On
Normals: On

# 9 22-09-2013 , 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
The hat is a NURBS surface, it won't be exported to the obj file. Convert it to a polygonal surface then export. Modify>Convert>NURBS to Polygons>options. The "control points" tessellation option is pretty good especially if you want to keep the same edge flow. The new poly mesh will most likely need to be smoothed in some way.

- Genny
# 10 22-09-2013 , 07:43 PM

The hat is a NURBS surface, it won't be exported to the obj file. Convert it to a polygonal surface then export. Modify>Convert>NURBS to Polygons>options. The "control points" tessellation option is pretty good especially if you want to keep the same edge flow. The new poly mesh will most likely need to be smoothed in some way.

OMG thank you so much!! Finally I can keep working!

As you said, the new mesh needs to be smoothed... Can you suggest me a good way to smooth it?

Thanks again, you saved me.

# 11 22-09-2013 , 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Well there the poly smooth command (Mesh>smooth) or if you're rendering in Mental Ray there is the subdiv approximation(I think theres a free friday tut about that on here).

- Genny
# 12 24-09-2013 , 12:52 AM

Well there the poly smooth command (Mesh>smooth) or if you're rendering in Mental Ray there is the subdiv approximation(I think theres a free friday tut about that on here).

Hi again.

I have two issues now and I wanted to know if you could help me.

https://gyazo.com/eb99417d70d2560bbd5f3a94d77bb6aa
There's an image of my model... you can see that there are some unnecessary triangles in the lower part, the thing is that I want to combine them and make only 1 triangle, how can I do it?

https://gyazo.com/b3de8c151efc259ee9a5fc27b3efa0e9
You can see that my mesh its unsmoothed and when I use the smooth mesh preview its perfect but that's just a preview and I don't know how to aply that smooth effect. If I use the smooth option it will make a lot of extra polygons but I just want to keep the exact same smoothing effect that makes the smooth mesh preview. How can I do that?

Last edited by zulexo; 24-09-2013 at 03:00 AM.
# 13 24-09-2013 , 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
That looks like a messy NURBS to polygon conversion. As I mentioned before, you may want to try going into the options and changing the tessellation method to "control points" for a better conversion. With all those triangles, the model will not smooth well. Also, the Mental Ray renderer will respect the smooth preview.

- Genny