Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-10-2011 , 08:54 AM
Subscriber

Slice

Hey guys.

I'm doing a architecture project and last year i used 3d max, but this year i'll go with maya.
So my question is, how to slice through a model? Like doing a section plane. user added image

best regards,

Mikkel

# 2 25-10-2011 , 08:57 AM
The Nurb Herd
does the slice have to animate?

# 3 25-10-2011 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber
Nope. It's for exporting it for 2d graphics to illustrator.

# 4 25-10-2011 , 10:39 AM
The Nurb Herd
you could just use the cut faces tool. that will create an edge in a straight line. then delete everything on one side of the cut.

Have you tried sketchUp? (i'm sure you probably have) it just might be quicker and more accurate to model something in that and export as an fbx or obj (pro version required). you can then just render in maya. Vray is available for sketchup tho.
i hear the 3D in autoCAD is better now too.

also from what i can tell, most visualisers use max over maya.

# 5 25-10-2011 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
True - but i hate sketchUp !!! user added image But the cut faces tool, actually did the trick! Thanks! user added image