Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-02-2003 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber

Gnomon Videos

Hi guys, im thinking of starting to buy some Gnomon Videos and i want to know what you all think about them! Do they worth the price?

THX

jesus loves you!
# 2 21-02-2003 , 06:09 PM
The Maya Mountain
They seem kinda expensive in my opinion.

# 3 21-02-2003 , 08:05 PM
Kevin

Re: Gnomon Videos

Originally posted by englar
Hi guys, im thinking of starting to buy some Gnomon Videos and i want to know what you all think about them! Do they worth the price?

THX

in my opinion - No

# 4 21-02-2003 , 08:11 PM
Subscriber
I've seen a few and in my opinion yes, they are worth the price BUT you have to know maya to follow and understand what they are doing...

-Emo

# 5 22-02-2003 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
What ?! Are the videos to complicated? Do you know any alternatives?

Thx for your replys guys!!user added image

jesus loves you!
# 6 22-02-2003 , 02:25 AM
Subscriber
and what about the Digital Tutors Videos?

jesus loves you!
# 7 22-02-2003 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber
no I didn't say they are complicated ...they actually take their time to explain every little detail they do, but I was trying to tell you is that they expect you to know maya already so they dont have to tell you how to go to the hypershade for example...and they use a lot of Keyboard shortcuts so if you dont know how they got there too bad :p

about the Digital Tutors Videos.. yes! they are very good being Free of course user added image

-Emo

# 8 22-02-2003 , 09:33 AM
Kevin
englar - maybe give it a little longer before deciding,

I think gnomon may be more suited to you then the digital ones. As although Gnomon are for more advanced users they will show you more then the DT ones- The gnomon ones are very in depth but as emo says dont expect then to describe everything they are doing, lots of shortcuts.

Emo - I think he referring to the ones digital sell.

englar - Have you looked into the Alias range at all? Also if you can hang it out a bit we should have our first vd in the shop soon. And it will be better them all the above user added image

# 9 22-02-2003 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
Thx Emo and Kevin but i have almost all the tut videos of simply Maya so the vd that will avaiable in the shop wont bring any news to me! I like a lot the video tuts of simply maya user added image - REALLY but i want to learn more MOREuser added image

jesus loves you!
# 10 22-02-2003 , 02:52 PM
Kevin
the cds in the shop will be totally seperate to the vip ones user added image

# 11 22-02-2003 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber
Heya i didnt knew that Kevin user added image, then i will save the money for that ones user added image when will they be out ?

jesus loves you!
# 12 22-02-2003 , 05:43 PM
Kevin
1st one is being created now. But by all means mate feel free to try the gnomon ones, you might like them mate

# 13 22-02-2003 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
Thought I'd chime in here, since I have bought a lot of training material.

I think you could probably skip the digitual tutors cd's. The pod racer training cd is good for people that are fairly new to Maya. It helps you get around the program while creating a simple pod racer. Price is great, and great for beginners, but if you've purchased VIP vids from here, these will not show you anything new.

I first bought a couple of Gnomon tuts. And it's true, very difficult if you don't know maya well. But once you do, the stuff is amazing. There was a lot of stuff that they skimmed while showing something and I'd get lost cause I didn't the shortcuts etc.. that's why I bought the dt cd's. Now the Gnomon stuff makes sense, but way pricey in my opinion.

I also bought 3d buzz Maya video 1&2 on rigging/skinning. At the time it was good, but I've since bought books, used online tuts on rigging, that I don't use Buzz's techniques anymore. Still, it gave me some good info.

So, what's next?
Well, for me, I'm looking for some training material on Character animation.. Hardest part to learn in my opinion.
Kevin has mentioned that those are on the way! Woohoo! user added image

for you, it depends what are you'd like to focus on. This is especially important if buying Gnomon training. Mainly because they go into detail on each aspect, that it requires buying part 1,2,3 etc... to get all the info on that area, which will cost you a lot of money. So if you want Gnomon, you should concentrate on certain are. Example: you want to be a modeler. Buy polygons 1.2. and organic 1.2. etc... It won't do you as good to buy polygons 1, Kinematics 1, dynamics 1. Not the best thing to do if you want to learn more broad areas. For that, I'd recommend a book like Fundamentals 4.5 or Maya Savvy( I don't have either )

So it all depends what you want to do.
Don't know if this helped user added image but to recap.
for broad learning:
Books, SM tuts(which you already have) and SM tuts coming soon

Specific:
Gnomon DVD's -I only suggest if you buy a few of one area ie. modeling. or Dynamics not one of each.

Rigging:
There's so much online stuff. If looking for really advanced or production type rigging.. I suggest A|W rigging DVD by Jason Scheifler(sp?), one of the animators of Gollum of Two Towers movie.

whew, I'm done,
George

God Bless you and 3D
# 14 22-02-2003 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
Hey THX A LOT for your help GCastro, yes i will wait for the SM cds and i was thinking in buying the Fundamentals 4.5 or Maya Savvy! i think that a good book is a very good complent to the videos! user added image

Cheers

jesus loves you!
# 15 22-02-2003 , 10:59 PM
Kevin
yep Im going to get the maya savvy to!!