Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-02-2003 , 03:20 PM

Influencing the SubDivTesselation

First of all sorry for the bad english!

is there a way to influence the net(tesselation?) of a subd-object.
i've tried the standard functions but the result isnt satisfying at all. it looks like the example in the teeth-thread.

I`m modeling a head using subd. but the subdfaces aren't perfect quadpolys. also extruding the proxymesh produces a quiete unusual behavior of the subd-object.
what confuses me is that most professionell subd-structures consists of a perfect quadmesh. how can i achieve this. i guess they convert the subd-mesh into polys but this way i loose all of the advantages of subd.

Last edited by cl10k; 10-02-2003 at 06:07 PM.
# 2 24-02-2003 , 03:30 AM

Hand

Hello, Cl10k.
I'm modeling a hand use Subdivision surface too.
If you can upload the .mb file to the website or me?

# 3 24-02-2003 , 02:03 PM
When working with sub-d's its a good idea to change the sub-d into a complete poly. Than go polygon>quadrangulate, this will turn the model in all quads. Than turn the model back into a sub-d....

To be honest I never use the proxy mesh I just convert back and forth from poly to sub-d when I model....I find proxy mode fustrating.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 06-03-2003 , 12:18 PM
Hi,

A method that I find useful is to model using either smooth Proxy, or CPS tools. When the poly object is finished I then convert to SubD and switch to 'proxy' mode to texture and bind.

Maya's Subd's become pretty slow (interactivity wise) when using with large meshes. Also, last time I tried (Maya 4.0) tools like artisan paint select and sculpt poly didn't work real well with SubD.

also here is a really nice poly/Subd tut for Max that can be easily interpreted for Maya.

https://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials...c/joanmenu.asp

Always aim for 4 point poly's. think of an individual poly as a sheet of rubber being stretched evenly from 4 different sides. Now think of a 3 or 5 pointed sheet of rubber being stretched around the sides. A four pointed poly will smooth/subd better because the poly's are (like a quilt) more evenly stretched, etc.. hope this makes sense.

re jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....