Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-03-2003 , 01:17 AM

hmmmmmm

ok...iv seen all these renders of work in progress that isnt textured or anything, but they look really amazing simply cuz the shading and material still makes it look real. it doesnt hav that cartoony its obviously fake look. it looks like a molded piece of plastic, and what i wanna kno is, how the heck do yall make it look like that??? is it just the material and lights or using diff renderer?

-Kozmo
# 2 21-03-2003 , 01:22 AM
The Maya Mountain
You might be referring to the GIJoe MEL script. you can get it at a couple places. www.highend3d.com is one.

# 3 21-03-2003 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
Kozmonut probly not the models you were thinking about but just in case I just posted the specs on the phong shader and lights on my set up. In the contest.

# 4 21-03-2003 , 01:39 AM
is that gijoe renderer free?

-Kozmo
# 5 21-03-2003 , 01:42 AM
never mind, dled it, ...im so retarded, i meant mel script heh. iv never used mel scripts...anyone mind explaining how to import them and use them?

-Kozmo
# 6 21-03-2003 , 10:30 AM
Check installation instruction that comes with the script.. it explain very well how to install it .. when its installed, its just to execute the script by clicking on the installed icon.. You should expect increased render times, since it create a lot of lights and therefore takes longer time to process for the renderer.

Note : GI_Joe is not a renderer, its only a script that create a lightdome, but when you render it with the normal Maya renderer it looks like Global illumination - or close.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 7 21-03-2003 , 08:24 PM