Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 19-11-2003 , 05:56 PM
Subscriber
Wow i see what you mean, it actually looks pretty damn real, and then with a touch of out-of-focus it'll be spot on, i will certainly use this technique in upcoming projects.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 17 21-11-2003 , 10:59 PM
A short test of MR's motion blur in this scene... accidentally forgot to show the city BG...

Attached Files
File Type: zip blur_test.zip (965.5 KB, 174 views)
# 18 24-11-2003 , 11:22 AM
needs to be a little longer in length, never the less very impressive user added image how long did it take you to make ?

I am not worthy!
# 19 24-11-2003 , 12:07 PM
Subscriber
def to fast..

# 20 24-11-2003 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
I love this topic as I think photogrammetry is such a perfect method for object/environment recreation. In your scene you are only going half of the distance though.

My understanding is that the real trick of PG is to use multiple real cameras to photograph a scene. These photographs are then used to automatically determine a 3D model. If the resolution is sufficient, a very accurate 3D surface model can be obtained.

Re-applying the images to the models provides you with an almost perfect recreation of the real-life object.

Here's an example of a street scene that was processed through RealVis (Photogrammetry system):

Photogrammetry example

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 21 24-11-2003 , 10:24 PM
Like I said, it's not quite true photogrammetry- we've been looking for a place with the properties we need for months now, and havn't been able to find it- I tried to make sure the lighting matched up pretty well for everything, but I intend to tweak the photos in PS to get them looking more "right". thanks for the C&C, and I will post a longer version once I render it.

thanks

EDIT oh yeah it has taken about 15 hours so far

# 22 01-12-2003 , 10:05 PM
OK after going to Tucson, AZ and getting some good photos I have decided to scrap most of the objects and restart- still no full coherent photos of a place we want but I was able to find several areas that fit together perfectly. more updates soon.

# 23 02-12-2003 , 09:32 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by carrot juice
OK after going to Tucson, AZ and getting some good photos I have decided to scrap most of the objects and restart- still no full coherent photos of a place we want but I was able to find several areas that fit together perfectly. more updates soon.

Now this, I'm looking forward to! Good luck!! user added image

# 24 06-12-2003 , 12:58 AM
Ahhh, I just got the photos back (my mom accidentally left the camera at my grandma's and she had to FedEx it back to us) and the pictures were for the most part (okay, maybe half) bad.

AAGH!

# 25 07-12-2003 , 05:17 AM
I have decided to use the usable photos I have (duh) and just search and search on the internet until my eyes turn bleary but I find the right sort of photos (ones that look like they could be from the same place even though they're not).

AAAAGGGHH!!!!

*sigh*

# 26 10-12-2003 , 01:05 AM
FINALLY an update....

I am done replacing/redoing most major scene elements. Some things from before my overhaul I will keep, because the look good (like the power-box, the soda machine, etc) but most things that are the same as before just have yet to be replaced.

EDIT: Also, I am expirimenting w/ global illumination, but I'm not quite acheiving the desired result (very bright day)- I just cannot figure out how to make the shadowed areas bright enough w/o making the directly light areas all white- I have looked through the docs and cannot find what is wrong.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by carrot juice; 10-12-2003 at 01:08 AM.
# 27 10-12-2003 , 01:26 AM
And the wire:

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 11-12-2003 , 04:30 AM
Another update, I tried Final Gather in mental ray this time, and I liked it a LOT better than GI. It does render kinda slow though... (like, 1 minute per frame. slow for photogrammetry user added image )

does anyone know if there is a way to somehow bake the light map into the objects? I know this is possible w/ GI, but I'm not so sure with FG...

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 11-12-2003 , 04:37 AM
Subscriber
Carrot Juice, your scene rocks, yes I think we're going for the same feel!. Your scene looks pretty real right now, I like the amount of objects you have. FG seemed to have really brought everything to life. Keep it up!!!
-flipfl0p

# 30 11-12-2003 , 04:45 AM
I'd be happy to share any of the good internet textures/texture sites I have found, and if you like I could make a little step-by-step thing (i'm not yet good enough a CG artist to call it a "tutorial") on how I get the images to fit.
Texture sites:

Mayang's Free Textures (https://www.mayang.com/textures/)

Free Public Textures by Jeremy A. Eagleman (https://www.art.net/~jeremy/photo/public_texture/)

3DCAFE's free textures (mods please remove if it breaks the rules)
(https://www.3dcafe.com/asp/textures.asp)

let me know if you would like that step-by-step thang and i'll make that...

thanks for the kind words!

Last edited by carrot juice; 11-12-2003 at 04:48 AM.