Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-01-2003 , 10:00 AM

Polygon Split Tool problem

I want to put a split where the red line is, but i can't get it to snap to the edge no matter where i start the split from (top or bottom).

Any ideas on why that might be?

user added image

# 2 07-01-2003 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber
maybe its because you've got edges (unseen ones) between the 2 edges you want to split

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 07-01-2003 , 02:03 PM
Check it in Wireframe mode, and then try selecting the whole thing in edge-selection mode just to be safeuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 07-01-2003 , 02:03 PM
Good eye Nem by the wayuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 24-01-2003 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
Well, I don't know if Schmick solved this problem or not, but now I'm having the same one! I can't get the second vertice to snap to an edge. I've moved faces around to make sure there are no unconnected vertices, carefully observed everything in all component modes, moved various vertices around, merged the surrounding vertices, but can't get figure out what's wrong! Any ideas?

# 6 24-01-2003 , 10:46 PM
The Maya Mountain
have you tried splitting form the opposite direction? That works for me sometimes.

# 7 25-01-2003 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
Oh yes. I've tried that several times. It's not that big a deal I suppose. It's in a spot you wouldn't usually look, but I still wonder why this is happening. I have had this problem many times and have always been able to do something to get it to work, but this is insane. There is no doubt that there are no loose ends in the geometry. I guess it's a bug.

# 8 25-01-2003 , 12:22 AM
Tried enabling the heads up display for the poly count and drag selecting each vertex one by one and looking at the selected verts count at the same time? Some times it looks like one vert but there are several on top of each other...

Another possibility is that the normals are pointing in opposite directions in the adjacent faces you're trying to split on...

...just guessing...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 9 25-01-2003 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber
Ah! Normals! I tried messing with those, but had no success. I know nothing about how to manipulate them or see which way they are facing. I tried reading the help faq on them, but couldn't understand it. I really don't understand what normals are for in the first place. I bet if I could figure out how to mess with them, it'd work. And there's no use in counting the vertices because I have tried merging them several times. There are absolutely no overlaping vertices. This I am sure of. Someone teach me about normals or give me a site that will! In the mean time, I'm going to try to read the help stuff again.

# 10 25-01-2003 , 01:02 AM
Normals are just basically "invisible" vectors showing which way the face is looking at. You can see them by turning on Display -> Polygon Components -> Normals (or something). Only thing you are interested in this case to do with them is to flip them to the other side if needed with Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Reverse.

*edit*
If you turn on backface culling you're gonna see only the "normal" sides of the faces...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 11 25-01-2003 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
Well crap. That didn't work either. Crap, crap, crap.

# 12 25-01-2003 , 02:59 AM
Subscriber
i think i know what hte problem is and how to avoid, but not how to solve it user added image
i ran into it today when modelling a house, basically, ur trying to split an object that has already been split so many times in different places. like with a cube, if you want to have 2 faces being made from one original face, then you would normally make one split right? but playing it safe you should split all the way around the cube in the same direction, that way u can avoid problems like this one where you've got unfinished splits as it were
thats my problem anyway
try not to split in unnessecary places, and when you do, makes sure its the split starts, goes all the way around and comes back to the starting point user added image

that was very hard to explain :S

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com