Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-09-2006 , 11:58 AM

manipulator missing arrows/vanishes

My manipulator has is not displaying arrows (I am not in move normal mode.) if i select an object and hit the rotate or scale keys, then the manipulator vanishes; however I can MMB drag and tell that the manipulator is still at the same location it originally was. i just cannot select the handles or see it. Huge time crunch and I am the only Maya modeler here.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

# 2 21-09-2006 , 01:01 PM
Maybe its just a bug, so restart and try again.
Or, maybe you can push + to increase the size of your manipulator cuz its probably really small.
Try reseting all of your preferences and things may work out.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 3 21-09-2006 , 01:12 PM
thanks echo red. you got my brain moving in the right direction.

it's solved...sort of...

i tried the '+' before and nada.

i created a new file, dropped a sphere in, checked the manipulator and it was fine. then i opened the file i am concerned about and the original problem with the manipulator was still going on. i ended up just importing the file into a new file and all is dandy...

i did not want to reset my prefs because i have sunk too much time into customizing them. it would have been way too depressing to bring them back to where i like them.

if anyone knows what the bug is or has a more direct fix, please respond.

cheers.

# 4 21-09-2006 , 01:15 PM
Well, like booleans, Maya can piss you off at times.
I guess you can go through all of your prefs. and see if you clicked something by accident.
Theres gotta be a solution; you'll find it sooner or later.user added image

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 5 21-09-2006 , 01:19 PM
lol. ah, so sadly true. most of the time maya keeps me quite happy though! well, i will peruse my prefs when all calms down, and post the fix if i discover it.

btw, that 5 dollars. it turned up in one of my shirts at the dry cleaners yesterday afternoon.

user added image

# 6 21-09-2006 , 07:44 PM
I knew somebody would find it lol.

# 7 27-01-2009 , 11:59 PM
Subscriber
Hey, the same problem just happen to me; everything was working fine and then before I knew it, the scale manipulators disappeared. I'm sometimes confused between the many shortcuts I use for other programs and hit random keys when I'm modeling in maya, which leads me to: what bloody key have I hit to cause that??
I haven't worked at all on my prefs so I deleted the file and everything went back to normal... is there a way to have a log of all the keys you pressed in a session?

# 8 27-04-2009 , 06:23 AM
I'm getting the same problem. I'm new to Maya and my manipulators show up in different views but not others.
Then ten minutes later it's changed.....
What am I doing? I can't figure it out.

# 9 27-04-2009 , 06:55 AM
Sounds like a graphics card issue Ramsy, try installing the latest drivers for the card. Maya can be picky with cirtian cards.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle