Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-09-2004 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber

The Story of Pak Mei

Originally posted by ckyuk
Argh i just saw Hero today and i think i need to start a kung-fu based project. Maybe even a long term animation over the next few years. Although i'm going to go for realism. I think i may do the story of how Pak Mei a former taoist monk killed 4 shaolin monks to prove that his style, White Eyebrow kung-fu (now a forbidden style) was the best.

I've decided i'm going to have a go at this, but first i've got a few questions about character modelling as it's something i've only tuched on in the past. To help get the best resaults when animating, when i'm modelling the characters should i model parts such as arms and legs under the clothes or should i model their clothes as part of their bodies?

# 2 30-09-2004 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber
it depends on how much time you have on your hands and your skills.
if you can model the clothes and make it look like there is actually a body supporting it underneath, then go ahead, no need for a body. otherwise, if you want accurate looking clothes, and put the wrinkle in the correct places, or if u plan to use some sort of cloth simulation, then u should model the body. :tup: good luck user added image

# 3 30-09-2004 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
Thanks. Looks like i'm modelling the whole body then.

I'm looking for reference at the moment so i should be able to start modelling tonight. user added image

# 4 30-09-2004 , 07:03 PM
Subscriber
Bit more about the story:

It's set in the early 1700s (173* i think) we know this because it's linked to the burning of the southern shaolin temple (the goverment feared them). This will come into because it's said that the four monks he killed had just escaped from the temple.

Some of you may of heard variations on this story as the exact events are not known do to the story being changed over the years. But the date and what is said in the first post is known.

If you know of variations in events feel free to post them.

# 5 01-10-2004 , 06:17 AM
reference, reference, reference.

Build the body first then the clothes. If you're going all the way with these, you'll probably want to use cloth to finalize the clothes. So you'll need the musculature of the body underneath the clothes to react with the material.

Good luck! user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 6 01-10-2004 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, i appreciate all the help i can get and i'm going to need it with this project. Anyway although i haven't started any characters yet (still finding reference) i did model this chinese broadsword. Yes i know it's got japanese letters on it not chinese but i don't know any chinese, it'll be changed when i've come up with a design i like so don't worry.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 01-10-2004 , 07:32 PM
Subscriber
Cant wait to see your animation user added image Very nice looking sword you got there.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 8 02-10-2004 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
sounds like it will be a fun project.

# 9 02-10-2004 , 02:53 AM
Japanese Kanji and Chinese kanji are almost identical...If you had katakana it would probably be off...but its okay to me.

# 10 02-10-2004 , 10:40 AM
Subscriber
I'm having a hard time find good reference for the characters.

Has anyone got a link to somewhere i could find model sheets of chinese guy i could use to model the base model for the monks?

Thanks i advance.

# 11 02-10-2004 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
Modelled some Thorns.

Still need those human reference links if anyone has them.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 02-10-2004 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber
Just thought, although i know some shaolin long fist forms i don't know any white eyebrow, and it could be hard to find as not that many people know it.

# 13 02-10-2004 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ckyuk
Has anyone got a link to somewhere i could find model sheets . . . ?

What are model sheets?

All great projects succeed one step at a time. One lone step firmly placed.
# 14 02-10-2004 , 06:38 PM
Subscriber
reference images

# 15 02-10-2004 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
I don't know wether to include the burning of the southern temple where the monks fought the Manchu untill the complex was burnt down and over a 100 monks died or to do it in a narrated recap style where i just show 30 seconds worth of clips and say what happened. Is it worth months of extra work?

btw i think i'm need more memory to handle this when i get into complex scenes as i only have 2GB, i'll go and price up how much it'll cost to add more.