Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 06-01-2006 , 11:56 PM
Subscriber
I'm almost done with the modeling. I just need to fix up the eyes and around the mouth. Also, is there any way to make the smoothing not as strong... I need it to be in between the base mesh and what it turnes out as when it's smoothed.
I hope i make scence user added image

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 32 07-01-2006 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
I have a problem, I converted the face into a subdivis and it wont render. I get this message

Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : polyToSubdShape1, non-quadrilateral face in subdivision surface base mesh not supported, ignored

How do i fix it?

# 33 07-01-2006 , 12:47 AM
you have to get rid of all your tris.there i an other of doing that, i think you go to polygone-cleanup and you click on the option box and after i dont know what to do, try stg til it works fine.user added image

# 34 07-01-2006 , 12:51 AM
if you want to render sub-d's with Mental Ray, you either have to see that you have only quads in your model, or simpler, just polyamooth it.

There is an optnion in the polysmooth that let's you decide how much it smooths.

# 35 07-01-2006 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
Mc-flurey: I tried that but it still didn't render proply. I think i'll just stick to poly's. user added image

DJbLAZER: The smoothed versions that i have posted up have been on the lowest setting and it makes the face (Mostly around the eyes) loose to much size and shape.

# 36 07-01-2006 , 03:30 AM
Subscriber
I am at a bit of a dilemma, The picture below shows the left side as subdivis and the right as polygons. If i go with the polygons i can render it with Mental ray but then i lose detail (Like the eye's)
Is there any way to make the polygon model as detailed as the subdivis when i smooth it?

Attached Thumbnails

# 37 07-01-2006 , 03:48 AM
Subscriber
Huzza, i fixed it. All i had to do was convert to poly (Wich made it quads) and then convert back again. Update in a bit.

# 38 07-01-2006 , 04:04 AM

The smoothed versions that i have posted up have been on the lowest setting and it makes the face (Mostly around the eyes) loose to much size and shape.

Actually Sub-d's uses the same smoothing technique as polysmooth so then your using some weirds settings when smoothing.

# 39 07-01-2006 , 04:13 AM
Subscriber
It might be because i'm using linier smoothing instead of exponential user added image , this is my smooth settings

Attached Thumbnails

# 40 07-01-2006 , 04:37 AM
The Maya Mountain
dont forget, realism is a major focus in this challenge! And we have two months! I really think the modeling would benefit from more work and more geometry details. user added image

one popular example: https://www.rpgkingdom.net/images/dos...resoft/aki.jpg

couple others:
https://features.cgsociety.org/galler...1134503451.jpg
https://features.cgsociety.org/galler...1134157735.jpg

I realize it's a lot of work (and that these examples are female) but that's kinda the point. user added image

lol, I'll shut up about it now. user added image Good luck!

# 41 07-01-2006 , 04:41 AM
use exponential..reset the settings and increase "subdivision levels" to 2 or 3, and you'll be fine

# 42 07-01-2006 , 06:18 AM
Subscriber
Thnxs for the help, ive fixed up the smoothing problem and i have done more to the eye. I think that it is getting close to what i like it.

Attached Thumbnails

# 43 07-01-2006 , 06:41 AM
Subscriber
You're not really going to get anywhere at all on this project unless you remove all the textures and fur and all that stuff.

Model the thing first. Model as many details as possible (lumps, bumps, bends, indentions, etc.) instead of trying to texture everything.

Apply a lambert or blinn to it so you can at least see if the proportions look right. Wrapping a picture around the head doesn't help at all to see if you're modelling it right.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 44 07-01-2006 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
In that last render i had gotten rid of the textures. I'm not going to add any more until i have finished the moddeling part.

# 45 07-01-2006 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
I have done a bit more work on the eye and have added in the eye lashes. I think that it is almost done. Now on to the ear! user added image

Attached Thumbnails