The place is fine how it is - Im happy 25 86.21%
I dont care either way as I dont get involved in chat 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-11-2003 , 02:56 PM
Kevin

Your views

I have had a few comments of late regarding the board rules..

So Im going to put it in your hands.

Regarding political / religous views: Are we to quick to stop / close threads and should we allow them?

Language: Do we sensor to much?

Angry posts: Do we also close these to quick

Mods / admins: your opinions please (good or bad)

Links to other tutorials regarding maya: Do we close them to quick or would you like more links to "non comercial" tutorial sites

-------------------------------------------

I ask these questions to see if we can help you guys on this site and make your time better.

I have seen on other boards a "rant area" well not so much a rant area but an area where political issues / etc are discussed - my fear is on these is that they can spill over on the other sections of the board.

Any ways - I am happy the way things are but I would like your views all the same.

Many thanks

# 2 19-11-2003 , 03:15 PM
Subscriber
I think there are far better forums for political/religious discussions. My strong belief (backed by experience) is that those threads should be closed / deleted, as they inevitably lead to heated discussions or flamewars. I don't percieve these as beneficial for the community and the environment on these boards.

As for letting more of the uncommercial tut-links remain, I'm all for that. I can however understand the need for removing advertising for other commercial sites as this is a business.

My 2 cents.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 3 19-11-2003 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber
I am a nOOb on this site, so please take my comments as those of a nOOb.

Rant "forum" - no thanks. This is a site for Maya users and as such is currently very Maya focused. It would be a shame to lose this focus while there are a million-and-one forums on the net for ranting, trolling, spamming and so on.

Censorship - If a topic is clearly getting out of hand (example the recent "Points" discussion), I think its a good idea to close it down. Why fill the servers, the mods time, and our search results with garbage?

Points - I like the points system immensely. As a Maya nOOb, it encourages me to download only the tuts that I need. The quality of tuts on this site is outstanding and I'm more than happy to pay a few quid for them.

Links to other sites - if linking off to other sites with tutorials would threaten the sustainability of this site, then I have no problem with restricting these "outside links". We all know how to use Google, right?

Just one question: Reading through some older posts, I see there was a "How I did this" forum. Does this still exist?

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 4 19-11-2003 , 03:21 PM
Kevin
good points fredriksson - thank you

# 5 19-11-2003 , 03:24 PM
Kevin
again great points there Huxley, and yes the main reason why the "other tutorials" are moderated or placed i the database is that it would (IMO) "threaten the sustainability of the site"

The how I did it forum was accidently destoyed by me but I know we have a back up somewhere that when time allows I may be able to fix

# 6 19-11-2003 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
I'll go with just like Huxley says.. politics are for other places. Hay were artist hear.. and dito on the other fine points he made.

I'm aware it takes quiet a bit of cash to run this place! and I am graitfull.. Hell I have Points that I won.. You don't see me downloading the videos all over the place hear.. as I would prefur to buy my points and suport a great place for maya.

thats me and my 2 cents .. for what its worth.

and the how I did it comeing back on line would be great !!

# 7 19-11-2003 , 04:42 PM
I think the board it over all pretty good.... we are over a year and a half old and with just a few problematic times when it comes to flaming and different views on world events. All i would say if there is a a thread or opion that stirs up some people just rember to express your views but do it in a way that is polite.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 8 19-11-2003 , 05:15 PM
Subscriber
I think it is fine the way it is, the mods seem fair to me, things are shut if they get out of hand. If people want in depth discussions on world issues there are other boards to have them on. While I am always content to debate serious issues seriously, there are very few places you can do that on the net without people stepping outside that once they feel they aren't getting heard enough and it really isn't worth the trouble it brings imho.

I find the majority of users here are fairly mature and sensible, a 'rant' forum would just encourage flamers and kids with nothing better to do than shout 'you suck' at other people.

I don't think you censor stuff, I think you control it to keep the board happy and I have no problem with that myself. Moderation is an art rather than a science imho. As for language if people cannot talk to others in a civilised way I can't see why they don't simply keep silent. It's about courtesy and I find these forums are about the most courteous I post on and long may it remain so.

In terms of tutorial links I don't think they do threaten the site, but that is just my opinion - I do use tutorials from other places and find it helpful for people to recommend them. But I still come back here and buy my points to get a quality product. There are some things not covered here and it is helpful to get them elsewhere. The database is a bit confusing as it is just a list with a load of random descriptions and it is hard to locate anything.

I don't think linking to specific things would ruin the site myself, as people know other sites are out there, it just saves time for people not to have to search through 10 things and 20 dead links if someone good says this one will work. This site is such a good one that a few external links won't hurt it imho, they will just make it easier for already helpful people to be more helpful.

# 9 20-11-2003 , 01:35 AM
Subscriber
I think the poll results so far say it all!
You guys are doing are great job!
Keep up the good work and thanks for SM user added image

# 10 20-11-2003 , 05:37 AM
I can't say much that hasn't already been said but I'll throw in my .02. With regards to political/religious issues popping up in the member's lounge...I watch them very closely or if I miss it, one of the other mods will usually bring it up. My personal feeling is that this is a maya site, first and foremost....the member's lounge is supposed to be a place to chat about anything and have fun....and people usually do. But, we won't tolerate abuse/racism even if it wasn't the intent of the author to "offend." As others have mentioned, there are other boards to vent out that kind of crap and we definitely won't hesitate to delete threads that get a little too fiery.

Language-wise, I think it's important to keep it clean as this is a public board with a diverse age group. Swearing in a thread to let someone know how mad you are because you're fillets aren't happening or whatever won't solve your problem. It also shows a level of unprofessionalism.

Links....well, I personally think that ppl smart enough to learn maya should also be smart enough to use google and do a little legwork on their own as most maya/portal sites can be found that way. If it's a particularly specific question, I'll point someone in the right direction if it's a hard to find site or something like that (non-commercial).

It's good to hear that folks like the site and how we moderate it as alot of it boils down to common sense. Thankfully, all of the mods have a good deal of patience and common sense and are just great to work with.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 11 20-11-2003 , 05:53 AM
Dam, Nitro stole my steam.

Sorry for the copout post, but I agree with all of what Nitro saiduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 12 20-11-2003 , 10:30 AM
Kevin
where the hell is that "lightning" tutorial you promised me rage - months ago!! user added image

user added image

# 13 20-11-2003 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber
I think the saying "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" works here.

I think the way the site is, and how it is managed, is the main reason most of us stay with this site, I recently joined SLightwave and am grateful that it is run on the same rules.
No complaints here, just thanks !

Regards Scraggy

# 14 20-11-2003 , 11:36 AM
Kevin
simplylightwave Scaggy??? you traitor!!! :p

# 15 20-11-2003 , 02:07 PM
Subscriber
Hehe - Well if you didn't keep making these cool sites, I wouldn't have to keep joining them... Hmmm did I dream this or did I read somewhere that there is going to be a SimplyPhotoshop in the future? -

Regards SimplyScraggy.. user added image