Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-02-2006 , 08:21 AM

time delay

Hi,

I tried to follow the instructions in a tutorial about the making of a tail which uses a mel needed to delay the movement of joints, but when I run the mel Maya returns a syntax error. If I change the character ' with " the mel is accepted, though it still not works. This tutorial is a demonstrative part of a chapter about rigging which I've found in a site of books selling.
Is someone able to figure out what's the problem? Any help will be appreciated since I don't get it at all.
Thanks in advance.

Here's the mel:

int $time = 'currentTime -query';
int $delay10 = 'getAttr -time ($time - 10) Hips.ry';
int $delay20 = 'getAttr -time ($time - 20) Hips.ry';
int $delay30 = 'getAttr -time ($time - 30) Hips.ry';
int $delay40 = 'getAttr -time ($time - 40) Hips.ry';
TailRoot.rotateZ = 0 + Hips.rotateY;
Tail2.rotateZ = 0 + $delay10;
Tail3.rotateZ = 0 + $delay20;
Tail4.rotateZ = 0 + $delay30;
TailEnd.rotateZ = 0 + $delay40;

# 2 15-02-2006 , 02:31 AM
Tis but a common error, which happens amoungst those still learning MEL . . . You are using the ' instead of the ` !!!

you may want to avoid also, in the future creating variables named after MEL functions, i.e., try avoiding the use of "$time"
as getting into the habit of doing that could cause some nasty bugs in your program, and make your code confusing too.

It would be ok to do something like :

int $time01 = `currentTime -query`;

Then it is obvious that it is not a MEL function.

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche
# 3 15-02-2006 , 03:18 AM
A much easier way of accomplishing what you are trying to do is use the expression editor . . . . it will be your friend if you learn it . . . . you will want to use joints to control the tail, if you are doing animation . . . . this is how I would do it . . .

Create a group of joints, for simplicity, we will say joint1, joint2, etc.

joint2.rotateY = joint1.rotateY *1.1;
joint3.rotateY = joint2.rotateY *1.1;
joint4.rotateY = joint3.rotateY *1.1;
joint5.rotateY = joint4.rotateY *1.1;

So each joint rotates a little more than the previous. When you rotate joint1, it rotates all the other joints via the MEL code.

If you open up the expression editor in the file I have attached and select joint2, then look at "rotateY", you will see the code.

This code is MUCH simpler that whoever-it-was that was trying to write a tutorial . . . and simpler is better and easier to tweak if you need different results . . .

Attached Files
File Type: zip tailexp.zip (107.5 KB, 424 views)

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche