Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 196 14-02-2003 , 09:10 AM
Kurt,

There really isn't much to the script. It's more of a batch process than anything else. You don't have to use it at all. I wrote uvLayout mainly because I hate manually applying planar projections 50 million times. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 197 24-02-2003 , 07:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
Boy, does this suck as much as I think it does? :p I still need to make a smooth transition between the snake scales and her skin for her head, but I thought I'd post what I got here...

Obviously still need to texture eyes, teeth, etc...

user added image

# 198 24-02-2003 , 08:01 PM
The only thing that buf me a bit is the gold and silver.....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 199 24-02-2003 , 08:21 PM

Please check
My (old) website!
# 200 24-02-2003 , 08:43 PM
BTW I love the model, I haven't really gotten into organic modeling, except for that Raptor that I never finnished. user added image
Great work
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 201 25-02-2003 , 10:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks for the link, Brian, but the shaders that site has do not seem to download correctly for me... not sure what the problem is.

Thanks!

# 202 25-02-2003 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
Hi Mike,

I don't know if you have a download manager... but if you have that might be the problem...

if it is the problem try to hold the "shift" key down while pressing the link... user added image

regards

Strarup

# 203 25-02-2003 , 10:57 PM
The Maya Mountain
Ah, that must've been it. Stupid managers. :p Thanks, Strarup. user added image

# 204 26-02-2003 , 03:41 AM
The Maya Mountain
Small update. tweaked the shaders a bit. Just need to do eyes, teeth, belt, and I'd like to put some kinda design thingy on her veil. I might just forgo the tatoo on her chest and have be bare for now. user added image

user added image

# 205 26-02-2003 , 04:59 AM
Subscriber
WOW.... this i truly love this mike user added image... coming along very nicely... now i would love to see some pupils in these eyes, and maybe different colored lips? I know your still working on it.. so i wont point out anything i think is weird.. i will wait until the end, and tell you if theres anything i would change. But, it looks like there wouldnt be much, if any. Great stuff mike, nice metal.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 206 26-02-2003 , 09:14 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, Matt. user added image

Well, I'm gonna have to call this one the final. Didn't come out as good as I would have liked, and I didn't get any of the scene done, but I'm fairly happy with it, I suppose. Texturing was a nightmare, but I think that was mostly due to sloppy technique... I know to do better next time. I suppose I'm too used to texturing lower polygon models for game purposes.

I'd like to continue this model eventually and put her in a scene, but we'll see what happens. user added image

user added image

# 207 26-02-2003 , 09:30 AM
Subscriber
Hi Mike,

she's is looking real great... and if I meet her, I don't know if I should jump right at her, or run away real fast screaming like hell... user added image

btw. have e.g. thought about giving her eyebrows?

and is it also the meaning that the nipple should be tattoed?

regards

Strarup

# 208 26-02-2003 , 09:44 AM
Kevin
hey mikey!

nice job mate, now ya gonna hate me and oyu probably know exactly the areas that need changing but:

the areas circled are the areas that need it...

1. The join is seeable, and texture looks stretched out.

2. this area looks as though the uvs where not laid out correctly and maybe not pulled apart big enough to actually paint on or texture

3. same here but this time the uvs are just stretched. Open deep paint and do a projection on it (if ya have dp) this would sort this np. Just use a couple of layers to blend it in

4. Teeth... this big tooth doesnt look quite right, Im not to sure what it is either.. might be that the gum needs to wrap more and have more of a "fleshy" look at the base?

5 the eye: now forgive me if im wrong but the area in the corner looks a little to big, might be this angle? if im wrong "shut up kev" user added image

Now mike this is some awesome work... this piece of work can go down as "fantastic" so I would hate for you to just throw this all away and not do them extra tedious bits user added image

# 209 26-02-2003 , 02:46 PM
Kurt, what type of pencile do you use for your drawings cos they look kinda like watercolour paintings...???

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 210 26-02-2003 , 05:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
Hey, Kevin. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I know the UVs got problems. I'm just gonna chalk it up to poor technique and do better next time. user added image

Thanks!