Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-09-2009 , 09:23 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

Border around deleated faces

In the Cartoon Dog tutorial (third part about 25 minutes into it) when he is attaching the jaw to the head he deleates some faces, but when he deleates the faces there is a darker more visible border around what he just deleated.

I was just wondering if it was the version he was using or if its an option, I am using Maya 8.5

Also on a side note, while I was at school I was showing a buddy of mine some stuff I am working on and when he clicks out side of the work area it turns solid gray and you cant see the grid or any part of the scene until you click back into the work area. Any idea how to fix this or did something happen during the install?

# 2 20-09-2009 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
that's called the border edge, an edge that is only on one face.

it's an option you can turn on somewhere in the preferences i think

i set it when i did the tutorials that came with maya (which i suggest you do as well) so i can't remember exactly where...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 20-09-2009 , 11:08 PM
Ok thanks, any ideas on the second part where the scene will become grayed out if he clicks out side of the work area?

# 4 20-09-2009 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
grayed out? like the panel just vanishes and doesn't show anything at all?
if it does that then the graphics card drivers aren't working right because you should always be able to see the scene (it would make doing things like animation, materials, etc quite a lot more difficult if you can't see what you're editing)

or do you mean grayed out in some other meaning?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 21-09-2009 , 03:27 AM
It is the entire scene, it puts like a gray screen over the scene and you cant see anything until he clicks on the gray area, it then makes the gray screen go away and shows the scene...I will try and post images if you need me to tomorrow afternoon